Skip to main content

Student Status Letters

During your studies you may be required to provide information to confirm your student status.

Students can now print their own letters through our self service letter printing option available in your student record in iExeter.

You will be able to generate a council tax exemption letter, student status letter and a bank letter.

The SID desk can also produce the following letters on request:

  • Student status letters confirming your status as a registered student.
  • Bank introduction letters if you wish to open a student bank account.
  • Schengen Visa letters for international students travelling to other countries
  • Council tax exemption certificate

These letters include programme start and end dates, registration status and mode of attendance, programme details and your name, address and date of birth. We also produce Council Tax Exemption Certificates.

Council Tax Exemption Certificates

Full-time students are generally exempt from Council Tax. Please see the Exeter City Council website for rules relating to Exeter Council Tax exemptions.

If you live in the City of Exeter you do not need to request a council tax exemption certificate unless your landlord or the City of Exeter Council has specifically requested you provide one.

If you are a full-time student and live outside the City of Exeter you may be required to provide an exemption certificate to your local council. This certificate is produced by us on request.

Postgraduate Research Students: If you are studying full time or part-time at 0.6 fte (full time equivalent) or above, you are eligible for Council Tax exemption until you complete your programme of study. The University automatically notifies Exeter City Council and Cornwall Council of all students eligible for Council Tax exemption. During the examination process, a letter in support of your continued exemption can be requested from the PGR Administration Office.  At the conclusion of your examination you will become liable for Council Tax charges.  Please note that if you are studying part time at 0.5 FTE, you are not eligible for a Council Tax exemption.

For students studying at the Penryn Campus, SID provide Cornwall Council with a list of all registered students. If you still require a Council Tax Exemption Certificate please contact Penryn Campus Student Information Desk. 

Please see below for contact details and remember to quote your student number.

Student Information Desk Contact Details

University of Exeter Forum
Stocker Road

Telephone number: 0300 555 0444
International callers: +44 1392 724724