If you are a postgraduate student, please see our Postgraduate arrivals information.
September arrival period
The main arrivals period for 2023/24 will be Saturday 16 and Sunday 17 September 2023. Arrivals on Friday 15 September may be possible at the following residences:
Birks Grange Village - F to Q blocks (self-catered)
Duryard - Teign and Yeo
While your contract start date will show as Sunday 17 September, you are able to book an arrival slot for Saturday 16 September (or Friday 15 September at the residences listed above) subject to availability and at no additional nightly charge.
If you will be arriving after the main arrivals weekend, you will still need to book an arrival slot via our system.
Please note: students joining the Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (BMBS) programme will be required to arrive at their accommodation on Sunday 10 September 2023 due to the extended length of their course in 2023/24.
Preparing to arrive
To manage the large number of students who will be moving into residences over the arrivals weekend, a timed arrival system will be in place. This is due to the very limited number of parking spaces within the grounds of our residences and to ensure that all students who wish to, can arrive over that period.
- When you have a contract with us you will receive a Contract Formation email
- You will then be asked to complete an online Student Welcome Induction and to book your arrival.
- Student Welcome Induction and Arrivals Bookings open early/mid August. You will receive an email when the system is available, and you access the system via your accommodation account. You will see a link within "My Applications and Bookings" to complete the Welcome Induction first. Once this has been completed you will then have a link to book your arrival.
- We aim to have your accommodation ready and available to you for the date and approximate time of arrival in your Arrivals Booking.
Managing Your Arrival
- You will be asked to book a 30-minute arrival slot at your residence between 9:00am and 6:00pm. If you need to arrive later, an arrival slot between 6:00pm and 10:00pm may be available.
- If you are arriving with a vehicle, to ensure that each student has enough time to unload and to keep congestion to a minimum, you need to arrive, unload your belongings and remove the vehicle from the residence parking area within your 30 minutes slot. After the 30 minutes, the vehicle will need to be moved to alternative longer term parking. This will then give other students the chance to arrive.
- During the booking process, you will be asked to print a permit for the vehicle you will be unloading from. Please note that this permit is valid for the booked arrival slot only, and cannot be used for university parking at any other times.
- During arrivals weekend, car parking attendants will be on hand at the residences to advise and assist you. They will also ensure that vehicles move on after unloading.
A space will only be available for you to unload your vehicle at the residence at your booked arrival time.
If you arrive early please make your way to one of the longer term parking options, to wait for your booked time. Please remember that you will not be able to park at the residence again over arrivals weekend so that all students can have a dedicated time to arrive.
We would also ask that you do not brings pets with you to your arrivals slot (with the exception of assistance animals).
If you are an International student we would also recommend that you take a look at our information on Travelling to the university to help you plan your journey.
Please arrive to your residence where staff will register your arrival and provide instructions on how to proceed to your room. The keys must be collected by the resident and only they will be allowed into the key collection area.
For further information on the Arrivals period for 2023/24 please click on a question below to reveal an answer.
Some students may choose not to arrive until teaching begins so you may find that not all rooms are occupied when you move into the accommodation.
While your contract start date will show as Sunday 17 September 2023, you are able to book an arrival slot for Saturday 16 September (or Friday 15 September at the residences listed above) subject to availability and at no additional nightly charge.
However, we do understand that in some instances arriving early may be necessary. If this is the case, please contact the Accommodation team to discuss the options available to you. If an early arrival is possible, this may mean that you will need to live in alternative accommodation until your contracted accommodation is available to move into, on your contract start date.
If you are living in University of Exeter accommodation, please refer to the information below.
- Complete our online Student Welcome Induction, which will be available from early/mid August and read the residents information. This will answer many frequently asked questions about your arrival at Exeter and help you get to know your University accommodation. You will receive an email when the Welcome Induction system is available to you.
- Book an arrival time through our online system which is available from early/mid August. Once you have accepted your accommodation contract you'll receive an email inviting you to complete your online Welcome Induction and book your arrivals slot.
- Check your policy details and level of insurance cover and to find out if you need to extend the cover for valuable items such as laptops, cameras, musical instruments, bikes and mobile phones.
- Register with Glide Student in order to receive high speed wired and wireless network/internet. To register for Glide Student please select the relevant link: their website to download your copy.
- Check if you require a TV licence and make arrangements to set this up before you arrive.
Storage space is not available for belongings sent in advance. If you are not bringing all your belongings with you when you arrive, you are advised to arrange for your belongings to arrive after you have moved in. Storage facilities are not available after the end of your contract period.
For information on what to bring with you to accommodation (catered and self-catered) please take a look at the Moving In Checklist 2022.
If you would like to save yourself having to carry essential items, order online with UniKitOut and have your items delivered directly to your room before your arrival.
Video: what to bring to University
A film by current students on what to bring with you to University.