International travel

Please make sure you read the University travel policy.

Need help following an incident?

In the event of an emergency whilst travelling overseas, provided you have registered your trip using the International Travel Form, the University's travel insurer, Aviva can be contacted on +44 (0) 1243 621066.

Please quote the following information:

Reference: NUBT 0105

Policyholder: University of Exeter

Policy number: 100003933GPA

Registering your travel and receiving your travel insurance documents

The University is not currently permitting international travel for work or study purposes. This is to protect staff and students from an increased risk of exposure, and to limit as far as possible the ongoing transmission of Covid-19. 

In addition, due to the Government directive advising not to travel, and the known risks associated with the virus, we are currently unable to obtain cancellation/curtailment cover for international travel

These are unprecedented times, and we aim to provide a normal service as soon as we are able to do so.


In order to help you understand the risks in the country you are visiting, please refer to the WorldAware website: and follow these steps:

Step 1: To register as a user on the WorldAware page, please enter the policy number 100003933GPA in to the box indicated and then click on the 'proceed' button.

Step 2: To complete the registration process there are a few fields of personal information to fill in as well as requesting you to set a password against your email address. These will then become your log in details to be used for all future log ins. After you are done, click the 'save form' button. Please note you will also be required to read and accept the terms and conditions and privacy policy in order to proceed.

Step 3: You're done! You can now access and sign up to the range of WorldAware services under our Aviva policy for free. Please note there is an option in the top right hand side of the page to amend your personal preferences.

Step 4: To log in again in the future all you need to do is put your email address and the password you have set in to the boxes on the right hand side of the page. Please note: You do not need to register again.

Changes or cancellations to travel details

If you change your travel details or cancel your trip please email: Please include the following in your email:

  • The travellers name
  • Form ID - this can be found on your confirmation email.
  • Changes to your travel.

Current Sanctioned Countries

Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Mali, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, & Yemen

Please provide us with fourteen days notice in respect of travel to the above countries as Aviva will not provide insurance cover and we are required to arrange insurance cover separately.


No cover under the serious disruption section of the policy (including evacuation) will apply to travel to any of the following areas:

Governorates of: Baghdad, Anbar, Salah ad-Din, Kirkuk, Diyala, Ninewa, Karbala, Babil.

Please contact us with 14 days notice to enable us to arrange cover, for which an additional cost may apply.

Visa application

Once you have completed the International Travel Form:

  • Wait for the international travel tracker form confirmation email
  • Click 'Visa letter for [your name]'
  • Put headed paper in your printer
  • Print the visa letter on headed paper

When applying for your visa please ensure that you submit the policy summary, along with your visa letter. The policy summary is linked to the email which is sent to you after your travel is registered on the international travel form.

Undergraduate travel insurance

Bribery Act 2010

Please be aware: Small payments made to government officials or others to make something happen, or happen sooner, (commonly called facilitation payments) are likely to be bribes and unlawful under the Act even if these payments are made outside the UK.

Are you carrying chemicals, biological substances or lithium batteries?

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) has restrictions on the transportation of hazardous substances on flights. These restrictions include the carriage of chemicals, biological substances and lithium batteries (excluding mobile phone/laptop batteries). If you are traveling on University business, you are not permitted to carry these items. If you require to transport such items, please contact for further information and guidance.