I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all your help and support, particularly with regard to the international students currently renting my house. You really were so kind, and although I have never met you, you were of tremendous help.

Landlord information

If you have a room or property to let in Exeter, you can advertise it directly to students for a small fee through the Studentpad website.

Studentpad is operated by the University Accommodation Team and used by students looking for accommodation, who will contact landlords directly about the properties.

To register your property/room on Studentpad, just click on Agent/Landlord and follow the online instructions. Under the ‘Fact Finder’ section, the average rents for properties being advertised on the site are shown.

What do landlords need to provide?

  • A current Gas Safe Register certificate for all properties with gas on premises. This costs around £50.00 and last for 1 year.
  • An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for student share properties only.

What are students are looking for?

Good quality private rented accommodation including:

Resident Landlord/Host Family (Lodgings)

Convenient for students who are coming to the University for a short period, such as Erasmus (European) students and Postgraduate students.

These students typically need accommodation from September to December/January or January to May/June, and begin their accommodation search from April.

Shared House/flats (including "Houses in Multiple Occupation")

Students after their first year of study at the University are most likely to look for this type of accommodation. Groups of students will normally look for shared houses/flats for the next academic year from January onwards.

Landlords can offer assured shorthold tenancies for the whole academic year. Contracts are normally based around the University's term dates.

Typically rents range from £70.00 to £100.00 per week exclusive of utilities. Landlords can show details on the advert if the rent includes any utilities (e.g. internet connection).


Further information can be found below:

If you are thinking of renting your accommodation to students but are unfamiliar with the legal requirements for doing so then please refer to the following links for a clearer understanding of the processes involved:

Read some of the feedback from our current landlords who have let us know what they think of our service and how effective Studentpad has been with renting their room or property.

If you require any further information or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Accommodation Office.

Both the University of Exeter and the Students’ Guild are committed to promoting the AfS/Unipol Accreditation Scheme within the private sector in Exeter.

The University of Exeter is working with AfS/Unipol to ensure that landlords are made aware of the benefits of the accreditation. AfS/Unipol is a national accreditation scheme aiming to help students make more informed choices about their accommodation and to encourage good letting practice across the student housing sector, as well as giving AfS/Unipol members maximum publicity and priority advertising within an increasingly competitive market.

The benefits for landlords who are accredited with AfS/Unipol include:

  • Priority placing of accredited properties on Studentpad
  • Studentpad discounted rate of £30 per property
  • Achieving a competitive advantage in the lettings market through enhanced profile and association with the code
  • High profile demonstration that you meet the robust benchmark standards
  • Providing reassurance for students and parents
  • Reduction in disputes with tenants
  • Membership of the Landlord forum via the AfS/Unipol website

Visit Unipol for more information and details on how to apply.

Cost: Initial registration fee of £125.00 for a 3 year period and an annual charge per property up to a maximum of £25.00.

Read answers to the FAQ-accreditation-scheme‌.

Most landlords chose to register with us online in order for your advert to be displayed on the Studentpad website. You can manage your advert and upload your gas and EPC certificates through Studentpad.

If you wish to register by post, please print and complete the following form (below) and post directly to the University along with a copy of your current Gas Safe Register certificate to the address listed within our contact us page.

Studentpad Registration Form


The cost of advertising properties on Studentpad for a 12 month period is as follows:

Number of propertiesTotal annual cost
Lodgings (a room in a house) per advert £10.00
1-2 Properties (per property) £37.00
3+ Properties (per property) £35.00
AFS/Unipol Accredited Landlords (per property) £30.00
Agent or Large Provider fixed price - unlimited £350.00

Please note that the sliding scale charges are only applicable if properties are registered and advertised together, not on an individual basis over a period of time.

Payment can be made online via the University of Exeter Online Store. Please note that this is a separate site from Studentpad and you will need to enter new registration details.

Once in the Online Store please go to Product Catalogue – Accommodation Office. Alternatively you can make a payment by cheque, made payable to “University of Exeter” to the address listed within our contact us page.

Once payment is made we will aim to advertise your property within 5 working days.

All private landlords in England are now required to make right to rent checks. This means checking that their prospective tenants have the right to be in the UK.

Right to rent checks have been introduced as part of the government’s ongoing reforms to the immigration system. Landlords who do not make the checks could be fined up to £3,000 if they rent out a property to someone who is in the UK illegally.

What this means for landlords

You need to make right to rent checks if you:

  • are a private landlord
  • have a lodger
  • are sub-letting a property
  • are an agent appointed by a landlord to make right to rent checks

Essentially, this means that you are required to check documents to show anyone you offer a tenancy/licence to that they have a right to be in the UK. Acceptable documents include:

  • UK passport
  • A passport or national ID card showing that the holder is a national of the EEA (European Economic Area) or Switzerland
  • A biometric immigration document
  • Current immigration status document

For more detailed information please view the government guidance about 'what they mean for you' and 'check you tenants right to rent'.  

Please note that the majority of registered students at the university coming for single semester however (such as European Erasmus students) will be able to provide a EU/EEA passport, which is detailed on the acceptable List A, which proves their right to rent in the UK. You will then need to make a copy of this document.

Where to find information about a student status

The University is only able to provide information about a student's status directly to the student so please ask your prospective tenant to make a request via SID to confirm their student status.

The Home Office has advised that any landlord needing confirmation of a student’s immigration status should obtain this directly from them by using the landlord’s checking service.