Dr Markus Mueller
Senior Lecturer in Applied Mathematics
Environment and Sustainability Institute 1.27c
Environment and Sustainability Institute, University of Exeter, Penryn Campus, Penryn, Cornwall, TR10 9FE, UK
Office hours: Please send an email to arrange a meeting.
Please send an email to arrange a meeting.
My research is grounded in mathematical systems and control theory and finds application in marine engineering, renewable energy, built infrastructure, systems biology, and human health and well-being.
Further, I am helping to develop the Mathematical Sciences taught programmes at the university's Penryn Campus and I am currently contributing to a number of modules for undergraduate students. A strong focus of the teaching lies in the interdisciplinarity of mathematics and its use within science and engineering.
I am also a member of the Mathematics department in the College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences.
You can view my Google Scholar account here.
You can find out more by watching a two-minute video of me explaining my work.
2014 Fellow of the Higher Eduction Academy
2009 Dr. rer. nat. in Mathematics (Ilmenau University of Technology, Germany)
2005 Diploma in Mathematics (Ilmenau University of Technology, Germany)
2017-present Senior Lecturer, University of Exeter
2012-2017 Lecturer, University of Exeter
2010-2012 Associate Research Fellow, University of Exeter
2009-2010 Associate Research Fellow, University of Melbourne, Australia
2006-2009 DFG PhD Research Fellow, Ilmenau University of Technology, Germany
2005-2006 Research Assistant, University of Southampton
Research group links
- Systems theory: time-varying linear systems, nonlinear systems, systems with multi-dimensional inputs/outputs (e.g. vector relative degree), stability analysis
- Robust control: adaptive and funnel control, robustness analysis using operator theoretical approaches (e.g. gap metric)
- Optimal control: linear programming, model predictive control
- Applications of control theory:
- Wave Energy Converters: point absorbers, oscillating water columns
- Population ecology: species-species interactions, pest management, invasive species
- Built invironment: facilities portfolio management
- Human health and wellbeing: human-buildings interactions
Current projects and responsibilities:
- Smartline: Smart wellbeing inspired by the community (ERDF, CoI), responsibilities: research, development and innovation into technologies for "smart houses" to support human health and well-being
- Tevi (ERDF, CoI), responsibilities: modelling for ecosystem services and circular economics approaches
- “Demain, l’école de toutes les réussites!” ("Tomorrow, the school of all successes!") (ERASMUS+, Exeter PI, collaboration with College Kerzourat (France), Scoala Gimnaziala "Aurel Decei" Gura Raului (Romania), Cornwall Neighbourhoods for Change Ltd.), responsibilities: development of educational games to prevent early-school dropouts
- Marine-i (ERDF, CoI), responsibilities: research, development and innovation support for the marine technology sector in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly
- Smart Facilities Management (2015 - 2017, InnovateUK KTP with NJW Limited, Academic Supervisor), responsibilities: development and implementation of a smart facilities management tool to deliver scenario planning capability
- OPERA: Open Sea Operating Experience to Reduce Wave Energy Cost (2016 - 2019, H2020, CoI) responsibilites: control strategies for oscillating water column wave energy converters
- The Magnetic Open to Closed Characterisation of Magnetic Materials and 3D Magnets at elevated temperatures (2017 - 2019, InnovateUK KTP with Hirst Magnetic Instruments Ltd., Lead Academic), responsibilities: modelling and simulations to make open magnetic circuit characterisation techniques more acceptable to the magnetics market
Publications by category
Publications by year
Markus_Mueller Details from cache as at 2022-01-22 15:49:42
I am the Mathematical Sciences Associate Director of Education.
I am interested in sharing pure and applied mathematics knowledge with students in our Mathematical Sciences and any other degree programmes.
I am particularly interested in Calculus and Analysis, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations and Dynamical System, System and Control Theory, and interdisciplinary teaching.
I am leading (or contributing to) the modules:
- Mathematics of the Environment (since 2014)
- Data, Signals and Systems (since 2015)
- Vectors and Matrices (since 2016)
- Calculus and Geometry (since 2016)
- Fundamentals of Interdisciplinary Mathematics (with Professional Skills) (since 2016)
- Advanced Interdisciplinary Mathematics (since 2018)
In recent years, I have lead or contributed to the modules:
Supervision / Group
- Maria Correa Cano (Honorary Research Associate)
- Tamaryn Menneer (Postdoctoral Research Fellow)
- Sohaib Talal Al-Ramadhani (PhD Student)
- Yasser Alrashedi (PhD Student)
- Kevin Bolton (PhD Student)
- Kirubhakaran Krishnanathan (former KTP Associate)
- Marina Maier (graduated 2018)