Skip to main content
Student Information Desk (SID)

Contact SID for appointments and information on student services.

Exeter: 0300 5550444

Penryn: 01326 371800

» Log an enquiry through iExeter

Preparing for University life

Sleep habits

Preparing for University life

Tips to support wellbeing

Your health and welfare

At the University of Exeter we place a very high priority on your health and wellbeing. If you have a problem or something you want to talk about there is support available for you – you will never need to deal with anything alone. Get in contact with someone whenever you need any help. 

It is important to register with one of the Student Health Centres or a GP surgery near your accommodation. All of our health centres have doctors and nurse practitioners and can help with medical problems as well as those related to University life, including exam stress, change in lifestyle etc. 

Streatham Campus Health Centre

You can register with the Student Health Centre online before you get here, or in person when you arrive. For additional information please visit the Health Centre homepage.

» Register with the Student Health Centre

Phone: (01392) 676606

The Student Health Centre recommends Expert Self Care, a free app providing health advice for students, available for Android and Apple devices. For more information visit the website or search for 'Expert Self-Care - Student' in app stores.

St Luke's Campus

If you are studying at St Luke's Campus, or if you will be living at Rowancroft, we recommend you register with The Heavitree Practice which is your closest GP surgery.

Penryn Campus

Doctor clinics are available within Penryn Surgery. There is an on-campus provision, but the GP's often consult with students either by phone or in person from the main surgery in Penryn. You can register online with Penryn Surgery here.

If you will be living in Falmouth, The Compass team will have details about other local doctor surgeries in Falmouth.

Out of Hours medical care

If you need urgent medical care when your GP surgery is closed, contact NHS Direct on 111.


Wherever possible, it is recommended that all students under the age of 25 receive the Meningitis ACWY vaccine before coming to university and you should also ensure you have had two doses of the Measles Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccination before you join us. If you have not received these, or are unsure, we suggest discussing this with your doctor. International students should discuss with their doctor in their home country what vaccinations are recommended for living in the UK.

International students

Find out what healthcare you can access when you are in the UK.


The Accessibility staff offer advice and assistance to students with additional needs, including:

  • specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia or dyspraxia
  • physical disabilities
  • long term medical conditions such as epilepsy, diabetes or arthritis
  • Asperger's syndrome or autistic spectrum disorder
  • visual or hearing impairments.  

Exeter – AccessAbility

Contact the Accessibility Team

Telephone: 0300 555 0444

» Register with AccessAbility

Cornwall – Accessibility Services


Contact the Accessibility Team

Telephone: 01326 370 460
Visit: Accessibility and Inclusion

You can also check the accessibility of Penryn Campus

Wellbeing Services

The Wellbeing Services teams are made up of counsellors and mental health practitioners. They can offer a range of online and in person services to support students personally and in their studies. 

» Exeter services

Phone: 01392 724381 

» Cornwall services

Phone: 01326 370460 


The Chaplaincy is a team of people from different faiths working together to serve the whole University community. Our Chaplains are always happy to talk about issues of faith or any personal matter in confidence.

» Exeter chaplaincy

Phone: 01392 723649 or 01392 725858

» Cornwall chaplaincy


Advice Units

The Advice Units provide free, impartial and confidential advice and information on a range of issues including housing, money, academic support and health and wellbeing.

» Exeter - Students' Guild Advice Unit 

Phone: 01392 723520

» Cornwall - Students' Union Advice Unit

Phone: 01326 255861

Nightline (Exeter campuses) 

Nightline is a confidential listening and information service run by students for students. Available 8pm to 8am during term time, Nightline are there to listen to anything you'd like to talk about.

Phone: Their telephone number can be found on the back of all student ID cards.
Skype: exeterstudentnightline
Instant messenger: available on their website during opening hours.

Exeter - Residence Life Mentors

Living away from home in a new city (or country) can bring new challenges, so every student living in our university accommodation in Exeter is assigned a Residence Life Mentor who has experience of student life. Overnight, members of the Residence Life Night Patrol support Estate Patrol Security by visiting residences. If you have a problem late at night they will be able to assist you.


Exeter - Community Engagement Team

Community Engagement Officers support the integration between students and other Exeter residents. 

Penryn - Living Support 

Students on the Penryn Campus have access to support from the dedicated Living Support team between 9:00 and 17:00 Monday to Friday. The team can be contacted on 01326 255341 or by emailing

Penryn - Glasney Lodge

Outside of the above hours, support is provided by the team based within Glasney Lodge on campus. They are available 24 hours a day and can be contacted on 01326 253503. Campus security can be contacted on 01326 255875

Penryn - ResLife

The ResLife team host a calendar of social activities for students living in halls of residence, both on and off campus, and are a friendly face in halls for signposting you to relevant wellbeing and support services. Email:

For updates follow:

Instagram: @fxreslife

Safe Zone

SafeZone is our free app based system for staff and students that enhances your personal safety and connects you directly to the campus security team. It provides a quick and easy way for users to alert the security team if you ever need urgent help when you're on campus.

Students in Cornwall will need to add ‘FX Plus’ as an organisation to make sure the app works on all of our campuses. This is quick and easy to do: once you’re logged in to the app using your University of Exeter credentials, go to “add organisation” and search for ‘FX Plus’.

Visit the Your studies page for information on study support. 

The University of Exeter strongly supports education and proactive action in respect of a safe campus and University environment and expects our students to conduct themselves with safe and respectful behaviours. Therefore, we are very pleased to promote and encourage our students to access materials and guidelines that help them understand sexual consent and sexual boundaries in a relatable resource.

We encourage you to access the expert resources assembled by our partners at Somerset and Avon Rape & Sexual Abuse Support (SARSAS). This material has been created to speak to all groups and types of people and we are in full support of the messages and resources provided by SARSAS as useful tools to help guide and advise University of Exeter students.

If you are affected by the content or subject matter of the material linked above, then please be aware that avenues of support are available to you:

University of Exeter, Exeter campuses: Wellbeing Services

University of Exeter, Penryn campus: Wellbeing Services

Student Health Centres

Exeter Student Health Centre 
Penryn Surgery

Sexual Health: Local 

  • Condoms will be available free from the Devon Sexual Health stand on Saturday 21 September as part of Freshers’ Week.  You can also buy them from NHS Freedoms Shop which is much cheaper than some pharmacies or supermarkets – as little as 14p each!
  • Further information for men who have sex with men:
  • All forms of contraception, including long-acting contraception, available free from your GP, student health centre or sexual health clinic.  Find a service
  • Emergency hormonal contraception (EHC) available free from your GP, Student Health Centre, most pharmacies and sexual health clinic.  Along with EHC you should also be offered a chlamydia screening test.  Find a service here. :  
  • Sexually transmitted infection (STI) tests can miss things in the 2 weeks following unprotected sex. The best time to test is 2 weeks after a risk. In the meantime, either abstain or use a condom. Chlamydia screening is available for people under 25 at your GP or pick up a self-testing kit from the Student Health Centre, most pharmacies or order online. Always seek advice sooner if you are experiencing symptoms. For further information or an appointment at sexual health clinic:
  • Sexual Health Services in Cornwall are provided by Brook Cornwall & the Isles of Scilly.  The Eddystone Trust also offer HIV and sexual health advice.

Sexual Health Line

Phone: 0300 123 7123
Free and confidential service on all aspects of sexual health
Monday-Friday: 9am-8pm
Weekends: 11am – 4pm 

Sexual Assault

Devon Rape Crisis

Devon Rape Crisis Helpline: 01392 204174

Cornwall Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre (CRASAC)

CRASAC Helpline: 01872 303038

Women’s Centre Rape & Sexual Abuse Helpline & Domestic Abuse Helpline

Phone: 01208 77099

Rape Crisis England and Wales

Phone: 0808 802 9999 (helpline hours: 12 – 2.30pm and 7 – 9.30pm)

Survivors UK male rape & sexual abuse

Text chat: 020 3322 1860
Webchat available via website

Additional support services

The Women’s Centre Cornwall

Support for estranged students

Will you be studying without the support of a family network?
The university can support you in the following areas: financial, accommodation, wellbeing and careers and employability.

Find out about support for estranged students

If you’re unsure whether you are an estranged student, or what you may be eligible for please contact:

Rachel Farmer (Exeter)
Welfare Consultant – Widening Participation

Alex Lewis (Penryn)
Education Welfare Manager

Support for student carers

Do you have caring responsibilities for a family member? We recommend that you get in touch by completing the self-referral carers declaration form. After submitting the form, our designated contact will be in touch to offer advice on how the university can support you.

The university can support you in the following areas: financial, academic, wellbeing and careers and employability.  

Find out about support for estranged students

If you’re unsure whether you are a student carer, or what you may be eligible for please contact:

Rachel Farmer (Exeter)
Welfare Consultant – Widening Participation

Alex Lewis (Penryn)
Education Welfare Manager

The Students’ Guild Advice Unit and Falmouth and Exeter Students' Union’s Advice Service can also provide confidential and unbiased guidance with any academic or wellbeing issues that may arise. Contact them via email below.