If you need help, please contact Exeter IT
Setup Guides for using Office365 in Outlook on Windows and Mac
You can access your Office 365 email using Microsoft Outlook or other email clients on your Windows or Mac computer.
This gives greater functionality than Office 365 webmail, as well as making calendar sharing, setting out of office, and accessing shared mailboxes much easier.
Follow the guidance below depending on what computer you use:
1. Before you start, make sure you have the Microsoft Outlook app installed on your computer. If you don’t, you can install it by downloading Microsoft Office 365 here:
2. For Windows 10: Click Start (the Windows icon in the bottom left corner of the screen), scroll down to Windows System, click on it, then select Control Panel from the drop-down list.
3. Find the Mail icon and open it and a dialogue box will appear. If you have not set up an email account with Outlook before, click Add to add an Outlook profile. Specify a profile name, then skip to Step 5.
4. If you already have an account set up with Microsoft Outlook, then you will see a ‘Mail setup’ box. Select 'Email Accounts' and click New.
5. You should now see the ‘Add new account’ screen. Enter your name, full Exeter email address, Exeter password, and click Next. If you are prompted for authentication, please enter your Exeter email address again, followed by your password.
6. If the connection is successful, you will see a ‘Congratulations!’ screen. Click Finish to complete the setup. When you open Microsoft Outlook, your email should be ready to use.
For more detailed guidance on this process, visit the Digital Hub.
These instructions were written using the Catalina OS but should work for previous and subsequent versions of OS.
The Microsoft Outlook app is required for this set up. If it is not installed, this can be done by installing Microsoft 365:
1. From the desktop, click on the Outlook icon in the task bar. If the application is not in the task bar, click on Finder and find Applications in the left menu bar. Outlook should be in the applications list.
2. If you have not set up an account previously, you will see a 'Welcome to Outlook' screen. Click Get started, and you can then skip to Step 5.
3. If you already have an account set up when you open Outlook you will need to choose Tools in the top menu bar, and then Accounts.
4. Click the plus (+) button on the bottom left of the Accounts window to add an account.
5. If you are asked which account you wish to set up, select Exchange Account.
6. Type in your full University email address and click Continue.
7. You will be taken to the University's Single Sign On portal. Enter your password and click Sign in.
8. Your account should now be set up and you can click Done to return to your Outlook view. Your mail should start to download (note, it may take several moments to complete).