Information, patent and library work
This sector has remained static throughout the recent down turn in the jobs market, and the demand for 'good' graduates continues particularly in the field of patent work. The work of patent examiners and attorneys may appeal particularly to students of science and technology.
The combination of a degree from the University of Exeter with some relevant work experience can enhance networking opportunities in many sectors, so it is a good idea to look for relevant vacation work experience and work shadowing whenever possible.
- icould.com – career videos by job type. Includes Patent Attorney and Librarian.
Job and Information Resources
- Handshake - our vacancy database with employers who are targeting University of Exeter students
- Prospects Job Vacancies - 'information, research and analysis' and 'public services and administration'
- Prospects Job Profiles
- Information Professional Jobs - Graduate Trainee Opportunities scheme
- Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals
- Sue Hill Recruitment - agency specialising in information, research and library posts
- IP Careers - Patent Attorneys
- TARGETjobs Vacancies - patent work
- Chartered Institute of Patent Agents
- UK Intellectual Property Office
- European Patent Office
- Library Graduate Trainee Scheme at Oxford University
- Online National Newspapers
- Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys - the professional and examining body for patent attorneys (also known as patent agents) in the UK. The site advertises vacancies and also contains a searchable directory of its members (useful as potential career contacts).
- Institute of Patentees & Inventors - offers its members advice on all aspects of protecting their ideas. The website has a useful links section.
- Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys
- Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals - professional body formed from the merger of the Institute of Information Scientists (IIS) and the Library Association (LA). Includes membership, qualification and skills development.