UKCISA have a useful blog on banking in the UK.
You will find a range of banks on the local high street, and our 'Banking and finances in the UK' presentation should help guide you through the process.
When to open bank account
You cannot open a bank account until you are in the UK and have registered on a programme of full-time study. It can take up to 2 weeks to open a bank account as UK law requires banks to make detailed checks on your identity.
- an application form from your preferred bank
- your passport
- evidence of your immigration status e.g. a valid visa, settled/pre-settled status
- confirmation that you are a full-time registered student at the University
- proof of your address in the UK
- You can request a from SRS in iExeter, or asking SID or PIP.
The University of Exeter is a cashless campus (in Devon) therefore you will need to ensure you have the facility to purchase items on and off campus until you are able to open a bank account. We recommend obtaining a pre-paid travel card prior to your travel, the Caxton Currency card is a favoured option and available to set-up online: https://business.caxtonfx.com/aff/partners/objective-travel-safety/
Alternatively you may wish to open a digital bank, Starling Digital Banking being a recommended option, also available to set-up online: https://www.starlingbank.com/