Skip to main content

Visa errors

Visa errors

Visa errors

When you receive your visa, you need to check it carefully for possible errors. It is the responsibility of both you and the University to notify UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) of any errors and most need to be reported within a short time frame.

If you find an error, the action you need to take will depend on what the error is and whether your visa is on a BRP card, a digital immigration status or a vignette (sticker in your passport). Click on the sections below for further information but if you do come across any mistakes, we strongly recommend that you discuss this with us in the first instance. We can help you make the correct type of application and follow up with UK Visas & Immigration on your behalf.

If your BRP card expires on 31/Dec/2024, this is not an error. The BRP card system is ending in December 2024 as UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) move to an online system from 01 January 2025. You will be contacted later in 2024 with further information. You do not need to do anything in the meantime and your immigration status will not be affected.

From 01 January 2025, you’ll be able to prove your immigration status online, without a BRP card. 

NOTE: Your actual visa expiry date is listed on your decision email. You should check the date listed there carefully and follow instructions on this page if you think there's an error.

Common errors 

Expiry date

The most common error is with the expiry date which could have an impact on you towards the end of your studies so it's really important to check this early and get it corrected. The amount of time you are given after your studies, depends on the length of your programme:

Programme Length

Additional time normally given after programme end date

12 months or more

+4 months (PhD students extending their visa for less than 12 months should still get a 4 months post study period)

Between 6 and less than 12 months +2 months
Pre-sessional programmes less than 6 months +1 month
All other programmes less than 6 months +7 days

Work conditions

Another common error is around work conditions. Read through the information on our Working in the UK page to check you have the correct type of work permissions on your Student visa.

Do you have an error on your visa?

Now you've identified the error, follow the instructions below depending on the format of your visa:

BRP cards are secure identity cards which contain personal details and biometrics information.  They are only issued to people who are coming to the UK for more than 6 months.  This is your visa and you should keep it safe with your passport as you will need it when you re-enter the UK.

If you have requested your BRP card to be delivered directly to the University and we identify an error on it, we will request that this error be corrected and a new replacement card sent to us. When this happens, we will notify you when the new corrected card arrives. You will then be invited to come and collect your corrected BRP card and relinquish your old incorrect one.

You should not travel once the error has been reported and before the new BRP card has been issued.

Where did you apply for your visa?

What is the problem with your BRP card?

Where do I report the problem?


Outside the UK

All errors

Report online


Inside the UK

Any spelling or date of birth error

Report online


Inside the UK

Length of visa or work permission errors

Administrative Review

£80 which is refunded if the Home Office agree there was a mistake.


Some students, including EU/EEA and Swiss nationals, will not be issued a BRP card and instead will receive an eVisa.

When you receive your letter or email from UK Visas & Immigration confirming the successful outcome of your visa application, you should check that the details are correct. You can also view and prove your status online. You will be given instructions on how to report any changes through your online account. 

If there are errors with the length of immigration permission you have been granted or the conditions, for example work limit, please contact us for advice straightaway.

If you are coming to study for less than 6 months, the full length of your visa will be issued as a vignette (sticker in your passport). You will not receive a BRP card.

If you are coming to study for more than 6 months and you apply for a Student visa from outside the UK, you will be issued a 90 day entry visa as a vignette (sticker in your passport). This will allow you to enter the UK and collect your BRP card on arrival. The vignette will be valid for travel for up to 90 days and you must travel within that period before the expiry date listed.

If you notice an error on your 90 day entry visa that could prevent you from entering the UK, for example your name or nationality is wrong, contact us for advice.