Book Launch: Data Journeys in the Sciences
Join us for the official launch of the Springer Open Access volume Data Journeys in the Sciences
This event features the official launch of the Springer Open Access volume Data Journeys in the Sciences, edited by Sabina Leonelli and Niccolo Tempini and appearing in July 2020. The volume is a key output of the ERC project DATA_SCIENCE (led by Sabina Leonelli from 2014 to 2019, see www.datastudies.eu) and brings together leading thinkers in the history, philosophy and social studies of science to reflect on the challenges and conditions for mobilizing and (re)using research data.
|An Institute for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence research event|
|Date||3 July 2020|
|Time||15:30 to 16:30|
|Place||Zoom details tbc|
|Provider||Institute for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence|
The volume provides an opportunity to compare in-depth, qualitative analyses of data practices across space, time and fields as different as epidemiology, particle physics, astronomy, climate science, economics, biology, oceanography, history of art and biomedicine. This work informs strategic thinking about the production and use of Big and Open Data, particularly at such a transformative time for academia and the world. It is also an opportunity to celebrate the end of the DATA_SCIENCE project, the many contributions made by colleagues from around the university, and the continuing work of the Egenis research theme dedicated to Data Studies and its intersections with the theme strand on Data Governance, Algorithms and Values of the Institute for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence.
- 15:30 Introduction to the DATA_SCIENCE project: Prof. Sabina Leonelli
- 15:35 Introduction to the Data Journeys volume: Dr. Niccolò Tempini
- 15:40 Comments from authors: Prof. David Teira (UNED, Madrid), Prof. Staffan Müller-Wille (University of Cambridge), Prof. Brian Rappert (University of Exeter)
- 15:55 Comments from DATA_SCIENCE collaborators at the University of Exeter: Prof. Lora Fleming, Dr. Ernesto Schwarz, Dr. Kirsten Walsh, Dr. Adrian Currie
- 16:15 Panel discussion and Q&A