Access to Internships (A2I)
Employers, please visit our Employer Facing Page
Access to Internships (A2I) provides support and funding to help Exeter students arrange a paid internship in the UK. Students can apply for one employer subsidy and one 'Help Getting to Work' bursary, if eligible, per year.
We can help you:
- to identify potential internship employers in your chosen sector
- make an effective approach to request a paid internship
- by providing generous funding to offset the cost of an internship
Student Widening Participation (WP) Funding:
This funding is available for undergraduate students at the University of Exeter who meet the Student WP Criteria. You can check the Widening Participation (WP) funding page for the full eligibility criteria and further information.
We have temporarily reopened applications for Access to Internships funding for 2022-2023. Please see below for the amended deadlines. However, please note we may close applications early if all funding is allocated.
- Internships at the University of Exeter (Exeter and Cornwall campuses): Sunday 21st May 2023
- Internships with an external employer: Friday 9th June 2023
- 'Help with getting to work' bursary applications: Friday 9th June 2023
Before you apply for funding, make sure all the funding eligibility criteria has been met, as outlined above. You can then complete the application form that applies to you, below.
- A2i WP Funding Application for External Employers
- A2i WP Funding Application for University of Exeter Academic or Professional Service
- A2i WP Internships Bursary Application
Other A2i Funding Sources:
Other funding may be available to support employers who have recruited as part of the SBP scheme and applies to non-WP students. Funding through the Southwest Funded Internships Scheme is usually available from January to May. You can learn more here or you can arrange a meeting with the Employment Schemes Manager by contacting email@example.com
To arrange your own internship you will need to undertake the following 4 steps:
- Identify the sector you want to work in and the type of role you want to undertake
- Identify potential internship employers that are eligible - you can contact a2i@firstname.lastname@example.org for a list of employers who may have opportunities available.
- Approach employers or recruiting managers (you can use templates in the guide below) to ask if they can offer you an internship, letting them know that the university will fund your pay.
- Once you have confirmed your internship with the employer, complete an application form to apply for funding (when funding applications are open).
You can discover further advice and tips by reading the How to Arrange a Paid Internship Guide 22-23
If you need help or advice with CVs, Covering Letters, or your LinkedIn profile, the Help with CVs, Cover Letters, and Applications page outlines the various ways the Career Zone can help, including appointments, events and resources.
If you have any queries about the funding, including internship or employer eligibility, contact the team at email@example.com
If you have read the guide and would like further support to arrange your own internship, you can request an appointment with a dedicated Careers Consultant who can provide one-to-one careers advice and guidance. You can book an appointment by speaking to an Information Assistant via the live chat feature on this webpage or contact the team using the emails below and mention that you are interested in A2i funding:
- Exeter: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cornwall: email@example.com
Before you complete an application, your internship must be confirmed and you, and the employer must be eligible for the funding. The internship role must also be challenging enough for you to gain useful skills and experience that could help you in your future career.
For further information about eligibility and how you can apply, you can visit the Student Widening Participation (WP) Funding webpage.
You can learn about previous A2i internships, the different employers, and the skills and experience students have gained by looking through our bank of case studies.
If you have any queries, you can contact the team at firstname.lastname@example.org
The intern must allow us to share their details, details of the company and the internship with the funders; University of Exeter Widening Participation Team and the Internships team.
All parties must agree to the A2i Terms and Conditions as outlined in the A2I Internship Agreement - External or in the A2I Internship Agreement - Internal
Students can apply for a maximum of one employer subsidy and one WP 'help getting to work' bursary (if eligible), per year. However, if the student has secured an advertised internship as part of the SBP scheme and the internships team has offered the employer funding to help recruit an Exeter student, then this will not count towards the student’s allocation of A2i funding.
Students and employers cannot apply for further funding to either extend an intern or employ the same student.
Employers cannot combine or apply for more than one A2i subsidy; Widening Participation or Southwest Funded Internship for the same internship.
Funding will be transfered to an employer once the internship has been confirmed and approved, and once the A2i Internship Agreement has been fully signed and returned.