Warm Welcome In-Year Scholarships (Afghanistan) **NOW CLOSED**
About the award
The Department for Education (DfE), working in partnership with the British Council, has launched the Warm Welcome Scholarship Scheme to support eligible individuals in the UK with links to Afghanistan to access higher education. The University of Exeter is very pleased to be participating.
There are two separate programmes in the scheme, the first being In-Year Scholarships. This programme will provide financial assistance to eligible scholars who are currently studying at higher education providers, in any subject area.
Successful scholars will receive a quarterly stipend payment to support accommodation and living expenses. The amounts vary depending on geographical location in the UK and on level of study. The first payments will be made to scholars in June 2022 and will be back-dated to the point of application to the scheme in May 2022. Funding will continue until the scholar has completed their current course of study (maximum study periods apply).
Interested applicants to the Warm Welcome Scholarship Scheme must meet the eligibility requirements outlined below.
1. Residency status eligibility
Eligible scholars for the programme are those eligible for a UK university place and who fall into one of the following categories:
- Afghanistan Relocations and Assistance Policy (ARAP) resettlement route
- Afghanistan Citizens Resettlement Scheme (ACRS) resettlement route
- Those with links to Afghanistan who are already registered at a UK university and are experiencing financial hardship due to the situation in Afghanistan
- Afghan British Nationals (ABNs), described for these purposes as those that were evacuated during Operation Pitting and who entered bridging accommodation or who presented as homeless to a council, but hold British citizenship or some other status that permits them to remain and reside in the UK without the need to be granted leave to remain.In-Year Scholarships
2. Course eligibility requirements
To be eligible for a Warm Welcome In-Year Scholarship, you must be:
currently studying full-time at a UK higher education provider at either undergraduate, taught masters or PhD level.
(The DfE has confirmed that those with current asylum status are not eligible for the Warm Welcome Scholarship Scheme.)
How to apply
Applications for the In-Year Scholarship programme are open. Candidates submit their application online to the British Council. The deadline is Friday 20 May 2022, 23.59 BST. Applications will be reviewed in the order received.
If you are a current University of Exeter student and think you may be eligible and may wish to apply, then please send an email to email@example.com straight away, as you require confirmation that the University can support your Warm Welcome scholarship application before completing the online application form.
Please visit the In-Year Scholarship webpage for further information and to access the application form.
(If you're completing your current course this academic year and plan to continue your studies and apply for a higher level of study at a UK higher education provider beginning September/October 2022, you may be eligible to apply for the Warm Welcome Full Degree Scholarship route. In such cases, you must decide whether you would like to apply for either the In-Year or Full Degree Scholarship route as you cannot apply for both programmes.)
|Application deadline:||20th May 2022|
|Value:||Maintenance costs for the remainder of 2021/22 / current course of study|
|Duration of award:||Variable|