The University of Exeter Business School MRes + PhD Scholarships in Finance Ref: 4696
About the award
The University of Exeter Business School trains world-class researchers who will shape how we understand and respond to the most important societal challenges.
We have a very generous funding scheme to support the most outstanding students who wish to complete a PhD in Finance. Successful applicants first receive funding to complete one of the University of Exeter Business School’s Research Masters (MRes), which provides a rigorous foundation in the skills that are required to conduct high quality research. Students who meet the PhD entry criteria will then receive funding for full-time study in one of the University of Exeter Business School’s PhD programmes.
Annual total (i.e., remuneration + stipend): £21,789.60
• Full tuition fees at UK/International fee rate
• Remuneration for 180 hours teaching: circa £3238.20 (2022/23 rate, subject to tax & National Insurance)
• Annual stipend: £18551.40 (2022/23 rate)
Students are additionally eligible for funding to support their research, development and conference attendance.
The scholarship includes a requirement that students work as teaching or research assistants for 23 days (180 hours) a year. This is a valuable part of your training and will ensure that you graduate from the Business School as a highly skilled researcher and educator. The Programme is run on a full-time basis only and students are expected to live in Exeter.
Students in the Finance pathway complete the two-year MRes in finance, which prepares students for a PhD in an area requiring a strong grounding in econometrics (e.g., finance). Decisions on PhD topic and supervision will be made towards the end of the MRes, giving students plenty of time to explore a range of topics and to meet the faculty.
You need an undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline.
How to apply
Please ensure you read the application requirements prior to submitting your application. To apply, click on the 'Apply Now' button above.
You will need to complete the application form, and to upload the documents listed below by midnight Friday 31st March 2023.
In the application process you will be asked to upload several documents. Please note our preferred format is PDF, each file named with your surname and the name of the document, eg. “Smith – CV.pdf”, “Smith – Cover Letter.pdf”, “Smith – Transcript.pdf”.
Note, your application will not be considered if you do not upload all of the documents listed below in the specified form; please do not upload any additional documents as they will not be considered.
1. An essay of no more than 750 words maximum explaining (1) why you are applying for the scholarship, (2) why you are a suitable recipient of the scholarship and (3) your expectations for the MRes + PhD in your chosen pathway.
2. A CV of no more than 2 pages
3. The official transcript or certified copy of university grades from all past degrees
4. Two academic reference letters (one must be from your most recent institution)
5. If relevant, valid, original Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or Cambridge score report (if required).
You need to give details of two referees. They should be faculty members who know your work well and can judge your research potential, such as previous supervisors or academic tutors. You can also attach a CV of up to two pages long. The essay forms an important part of the application, so ensure that you give this sufficient attention.
• Applications are due by midnight Friday 31st March 2023
• Short-listed applicants will be invited to an interview in April or May 2023 to meet faculty and discuss their candidacy.
• Orientation for new students takes place in mid-September 2023
You do not need to contact faculty members before you make an application. Decisions on supervisors are only made towards the end of the MRes, so you will have plenty of time to get to know faculty. We do encourage you to read the faculty profiles on our website to see if faculty in the School have research interests relevant to what you wish to do.
For more information about the scholarship and informal enquiries, please contact email@example.com
|Application deadline:||31st March 2023|
|Value:||Students receive full tuition fees at UK/International fee rate. Annual total (i.e., remuneration + stipend): £21,789.60 that covers the MRes plus the 3-year PhD.|
|Duration of award:||per year|
|Contact: PGR Admissions Teamfirstname.lastname@example.org|