Awards and league table success
League table success
Exeter is one of the top universities in the world
- The University is ranked 153rd in the latest (2024) QS World University Rankings.
- The Times Higher Education Impact Rankings 2023 ranked us 18th in the world, and as a leader in the following SDGs:
- 1st globally for Clean Water and Sanitation
- 1st in Europe for Climate Action
- 1st in the UK and 2nd in Europe for Zero Hunger
- 3rd in UK for No Poverty
- 4th in the UK for Affordable and Clean Energy
- We are 6th in the UK, 8th in Europe and 31st in the world in the CWTS Leiden Ranking 2023, when the quality of publications is taken into account ("PP top 10%" - percentage of outputs in the top 10% most-cited). The Leiden Ranking offers key insights into the scientific performance of more than 1,400 major universities worldwide.
Exeter is a top UK university, according to the main higher education league tables
Each league table ranks more than 100 UK higher education institutions.
- The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2024 ranked Exeter as 11th in the UK, and named the University as runner-up in the prestigious University of the year award for the second year running.
- This year’s Guardian league table (2024) lists Exeter in 18th position out of 122 higher education institutions.
- The Complete University Guide (2024) published in the Independent lists Exeter in 15th place.
The Queen's Anniversary Prize
The University has four times been awarded a prestigious Queen's Anniversary Prize. The most recent award was made in 2020 to a team of scientists who have exposed the devastating effect that plastics pollution has on the health of humans and wildlife. It is the fourth Prize won by the University.