Awards and league table success
League table success
Exeter is one of the top universities in the world
- The University is ranked 143rd in the latest (2022) Times Higher Education World University Rankings, the most influential global league table.
- The University is ranked 163rd in the latest (2023) QS World University Rankings.
- We are 6th in the UK, 9th in Europe and 29th in the world in the CWTS Leiden Ranking, when the quality of publications is taken into account. The Leiden Ranking offers key insights into the scientific performance of more than 900 major universities worldwide.
Exeter is a top UK university, according to the main higher education league tables
Each league table ranks more than 100 UK higher education institutions.
- This year’s Guardian league table (2022) lists Exeter in 15th position out of 121 higher education institutions.
- The Complete University Guide (2023) published in the Independent lists Exeter in 19th place
- Exeter was named The Times and The Sunday Times Sports University of the Year 2015-16 acknowledging the University as the best in the country in academic and athletic achievement across a wide range of sports. It recognises Exeter’s outstanding support for athletes, very high student satisfaction in sport-related programmes and world-leading research which enhances athletic performance at all levels. In 2012 the Sunday Times named us 'Sunday Times University of the Year'.
The Queen's Anniversary Prize
The University has four times been awarded a prestigious Queen's Anniversary Prize. The most recent award was made in 2020 to a team of scientists who have exposed the devastating effect that plastics pollution has on the health of humans and wildlife. It is the fourth Prize won by the University.