Access to Internships (A2I)
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic the Internships Team will be working remotely, undertaking normal working office hours, Monday-Friday, 9am -5pm, so please use email email@example.com as the first point of contact as phone lines will not be answered. If your enquiry is urgent please highlight this in the subject bar of your email and we will do our best to get back to you as soon as possible.
Access to Internships (A2I) provides support and funding to help Exeter students arrange a paid internship in the UK. Students can apply for one employer subsidy and one 'help getting to work' bursary, if eligible, per year.
We can help you:
- to identify potential internship employers in your chosen sector
- make an effective approach to request a paid internship
- by providing generous funding to offset the cost of an internship
The Student Widening Participation (WP) Funding: £65,653 Remaining
This funding is available for all undergraduate Exeter students who meet the Student WP Criteria. Please see the Widening Participation (WP) funding page for full eligibility and details about the funding.
The funding figure detailed above was last updated on 12/02/2021. All funding is issued on a first-come first-serve basis.
To arrange you own internship you will need to undertake the following 5 steps:
- Identify your preferred internship sector and role
- Identify potential internship organisations
- Identify key contacts to approach in the organisations
- Approach the contacts speculatively (see templates in below guide) to ask for a paid internship, detailing the A2I requirements.
- Apply for A2I funding, once you have received a positive response from an organisation
For details on how you can complete the above steps please read the How to Arrange a Paid Internship Guide 20-21
If you have any queries about the funding, including internship or employer eligibility, please contact A2I@exeter.ac.uk.
If you have read the above guide and would like support with the steps on how to arrange your own internship. Our dedicated Careers Consultants can provide one-to-one careers advice and guidance. You can book an appointment by speaking to an Information Assistant via the live chat feature on this webpage or email your Career Zone and mention that you are interested in A2I:
In order to apply for funding you must have your internship arranged and have checked that you, the internship and the internship organisation is eligible for the funding. For further information about the funding and how you can apply please visit the Student Widening Participation (WP) Funding.
If you would like to see where students have undertaken A2I internships and learn about the roles they have performed, take a look at our case studies.
- The intern must allow us to share their details, details of the company and the internship with the funders; University of Exeter Widening Participation Team or Santander Universities.
- All parties must agree to the A2I Terms and Conditions as outlined in the A2I Internship Agreement - External.
- Students can apply for a maximum of one employer subsidy and one WP 'help getting to work' bursary (if eligible), per year. However, if the student has secured an advertised internship as part of the SBP scheme and the internships team has offered the employer funding to help recruit an Exeter student, then this will not count towards the student’s allocation of A2I funding.
- Students and employers cannot apply for further funding to either extend an intern or employ the same student or graduate.
- Employers cannot combine or apply for more than one A2I subsidy; Santander or Widening Participation, for the same internship.
- Employer subsidies will be paid upon the successful placement of an Exeter intern into the approved internship and once an A2I Internship Agreement has been signed and returned.