Access to Internships (A2I)
Employers, please visit our Employer Facing Page
Access to Internships (A2I) provides support and funding to help Exeter students arrange a paid internship in the UK. Students can apply for one employer subsidy and one 'Help Getting to Work' bursary, if eligible, per year.
We can help you:
- to identify potential internship employers in your chosen sector
- make an effective approach to request a paid internship
- by providing generous funding to offset the cost of an internship
Student Widening Participation (WP) Funding:
This funding is available for all undergraduate Exeter students who meet the Student WP Criteria. Please see the Widening Participation (WP) funding page for full eligibility and details. All funding is issued on a first-come first-serve basis.
Please Note: The 21-22 funding has now been allocated. If you are interested in funding for the upcoming academic year (October 22 – June 2023) please express your interest here*. We will then let you know once funding applications are open and further details about next year’s funding. We expect to receive funding confirmation in October 2022.
*This form is an expression of interest form and NOT a funding application. All funding will be issued on a first-come-first-serve basis once the funding has been confirmed and a funding application has been submitted.
Other A2I Funding:
The below funding pot is designed to support employers who have recruited as part of the SBP scheme and is not available for students to support their own paid internships. If you would like to apply for any of these set roles, please see the SBP webpages.
- SW Business Funded Internships – set SBP roles normally available from the end of October - May.
To arrange your own internship you will need to undertake the following 5 steps:
- Identify your preferred internship sector and role
- Identify potential internship employers
- Identify key contacts to approach
- Approach the contacts speculatively (see templates in below guide) to ask for a paid internship, detailing the A2I requirements
- Apply for A2I funding, once you have received a positive response from an employer
For details on how you can complete the above steps please read the How to Arrange a Paid Internship Guide 21-22
If you need help or advice with CVs, Covering Letters, or your LinkedIn profile, the Help with CVs, Cover Letters, and Applications page outlines the various ways the Career Zone can help, including appointments, events and resources.
If you have any queries about the funding, including internship or employer eligibility, please contact A2I@exeter.ac.uk.
If you have read the above guide and would like support with the steps on how to arrange your own internship. Our dedicated Careers Consultants can provide one-to-one careers advice and guidance. You can book an appointment by speaking to an Information Assistant via the live chat feature on this webpage or email your Career Zone and mention that you are interested in A2I:
In order to apply for funding you must have the internship arranged and have checked that you, the internship and the internship organisation is eligible for the funding. For further information about the funding eligibilities and how you can apply, please visit the Student Widening Participation (WP) Funding webpage.
If you would like to see where students have undertaken A2I internships and learn about the roles they have performed, take a look at our case studies.
- The intern must allow us to share their details, details of the company and the internship with the funders; University of Exeter Widening Participation Team and the Internships team.
- All parties must agree to the A2I Terms and Conditions as outlined in the A2I Internship Agreement - External or in the A2I Internship Agreement - Internal
- Students can apply for a maximum of one employer subsidy and one WP 'help getting to work' bursary (if eligible), per year. However, if the student has secured an advertised internship as part of the SBP scheme and the internships team has offered the employer funding to help recruit an Exeter student, then this will not count towards the student’s allocation of A2I funding.
- Students and employers cannot apply for further funding to either extend an intern or employ the same student or graduate.
- Employers cannot combine or apply for more than one A2I subsidy; Widening Participation or Southwest Business funding for the same internship.
- Employer subsidies will be paid upon the successful placement of an Exeter intern into the approved internship and once an A2I Internship Agreement has been signed and returned.