|Duration||1 year full time|
- Aimed at qualified teachers and others who work in TESOL at either primary, secondary or tertiary levels in different educational contexts around the world
- We offer two routes - one for existing teaching practitioners seeking to develop their professional skills and one for those wanting to enter a career in language teaching
- You will benefit from small class sizes and working closely with our academic staff and your fellow students
- You’ll join a multicultural and multilingual environment with students from across the world such as China, Mexico, USA, South Korea, Kapan and Thailand
- We offer the opportunity to gain hands-on experience by undertaking visits to local language schools in Exeter
6th in the UK for world-leading and internationally excellent research in Education and influencer of national education policy
Research Excellence Framework 2014 based on the percentage of research categorised as 4* and 3*.
Top 150 in the world for Education
QS World University Rankings 2020.
Home to one of the largest Education libraries in the UK
For admission to the programme we would normally expect that you hold a 2:1 Honours degree (or equivalent) in language- or education-related disciplines. While we normally only accept applicants who meet this criteria, if you have a high 2:2 or equivalent, are coming from a different academic background which is equivalent to degree level, or have relevant teaching experience, we would welcome your application.
The MEd TESOL has international recognition and is seen as an important professional qualification worldwide to enable TESOL teachers to enhance their career prospects. At Exeter, depending on the modules taken, completion of the MEd TESOL can help you to move into new areas within TESOL such as teacher education and training, English for special purposes, materials development and the teaching of English to young learners.
The programme will:
- develop and extend your understanding of key aspects of linguistics and learning theory and their influence on the teaching of English to speakers of other languages
- enable you to make informed professional decisions regarding language teaching in the workplace and justify these to others
- enable you to select, adapt and design materials and activities for language teaching
- enable you to investigate and research aspects of TESOL in ways that will support continuing development and practice as a foreign language teaching professional
What is the difference between a Master of Education, a Postgraduate Diploma and a Postgraduate Certificate?
To gain an MEd you must complete 180 credits of specified modules.
However, you may exit the programme early before completing 180 credits and still receive an award. These alternative awards are:
- If exiting the programme after completing 60 credits you will be awarded a Postgraduate Certificate (PGCert).
- If exiting the programme after completing 120 credits you will be awarded a Postgraduate Diploma (PGDip).
The modules we outline here provide examples of what you can expect to learn on this degree course based on recent academic teaching. The precise modules available to you in future years may vary depending on staff availability and research interests, new topics of study, timetabling and student demand.
UK/EU fees per year
- £9,200 full-time
- £4,600 part-time
- £5,900 full-time
- £2,950 part-time
- £3,000 full-time
- £1,500 part-time
International fees per year
- £19,500 full-time
- £12,700 full-time
- £6,350 part-time
- £6,400 full-time
- £3,200 part-time
January 2021 entry
UK/EU fees per year
- £8,750 full-time
- £4,375 part-time
- £5,700 full-time
- £2,850 part-time
- £2,900 full-time
- £1,450 part-time
International fees per year
- £18,500 full-time
- £12,300 full-time
- £6,150 part-time
- £6,200 full-time
- £3,100 part-time
The University of Exeter is offering scholarships to the value of over £4 million for students starting with us in September 2021. Details of scholarships, including our Global Excellence scholarships and GREAT scholarships (British Council and the GREAT Britain Campaign) for international fee paying students, can be found on our dedicated funding page.
A Masters in TESOL has international recognition and is seen as an important professional qualification worldwide to enable TESOL teachers to enhance their career prospects. In particular it is often seen as an important entry qualification for educators who want to work at University level.
In addition, depending on the modules taken, completing the MEd TESOL can help you move into new areas such as:
- teacher education and training
- English for special purposes
- materials development
- teaching English to young learners
Our MEd also offers excellent preparation for progression to PhD or professional doctorate (EdD).
We have a good track record of graduate employment, and employers visit the University when recruiting. The EF recruitment team have visited the University to talk to our TESOL students about teaching and learning English in Chinese private language organisations, and conducted on-campus interviews. We also regularly receive details of job opportunities from Turkish and Chinese universities who are looking for high-quality language teachers.
Careers support including skills training, internships, jobs vacancies, employment fairs and other events is available through the Career Zone.
Fantastic facilities, outstanding teaching, world-leading research and exceptional graduate employability are just a few of the reasons we think you'll love it here. Find out what our students say about choosing Exeter.
Studying at our campuses in Devon or Cornwall means you'll have some of the most beautiful natural scenery in the UK on your doorstep. Find out about student life at Exeter and the huge range of sports, clubs and societies on offer.
One University, two locations
We have around 20,000 students across our three campuses in Devon and Cornwall which means we offer the academic excellence and facilities you'd expect of a major university but also a friendly and welcoming atmosphere.