For further information please see UKVI web pages

Tier 2

Tier 2 (General)

This route is for people being sponsored by The University of Exeter to fill a genuine vacancy in line with the Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT). The University will issue a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) to each sponsored person. To be issued with a valid visa by UKVI, the applicant must then demonstrate they also meet English language requirements and have sufficient maintenance. Maintenance is currently set at £945 + £630 per dependent to have been in the individual’s bank account for 3 months prior to the application.

Certificate of Sponsorship

Once Human Resources receive the confirmation of your appointment we will contact you to begin the necessary arrangements for a CoS.
The International Employment Officer (Helen Belcher) will require receipt of the following documentation before a CoS can be issued:

  • your passport (if you are sending certified copies we need: the main passport page and any current UK visas) and
  • your academic or professional qualifications (eg diplomas, PhD certificates etc)  We can also accept original transcripts, subject to them clearly showing the degree awarded and the date of completion.

A certified copy is one that includes a signed statement, either by the issuing authority or by a solicitor or notary, confirming that it is an accurate copy of the original document. In the UK the Post Office offers a certifying service. Please do not send original documents through the post, as we cannot guarantee their safe transit.  

Any documents that we request to see that are not in English must be accompanied by a certified translation. The translator's credentials should be provided, along with their official confirmation that the translation is accurate.

When the University sends you the CoS, you will need to arrange to make an application, along with the required documentation, for your visa.

You cannot start work until a CoS is issued and you have an appropriate visa.

When you apply for your visa, you will need to present the CoS (this is a reference number which the University will email to you) and satisfy the Entry Clearance Officer in the British Diplomatic Mission/British Embassy/High Commission that you meet the requirements of the Points Based System with reference to ‘maintenance’ and ‘English Language Skills’.  

The University will meet the cost of the Certificate of Sponsorship but it is your responsibility to meet the application fee for your visa.

Immigration Health Surcharge

You will be required to pay an immigration surcharge for you and any of your dependents. Please see the UKVI web pages for further information.