- IfATE Level 6 Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship
- BSc (Hons) Responsible Business Management
- CMI Chartered Manager status
- Mary Seacole Certificate awarded by the NHS Leadership Academy
- Unlock the potential of existing managers, creating a solid skills foundation for your future leadership structure. This is suitable for aspiring leaders working in the NHS or in a Healthcare setting.
- Triple accredited by the Chartered Manager Institute (CMI), University of Exeter, and the NHS Leadership Academy, this degree programme offers healthcare professionals the opportunity to earn a BSc (Hons) in Responsible Business Management, a Charted Manager Degree Apprenticeship, Mary Seacole Certificate and CMI Charted Manager status upon completion.
- The apprenticeship has been designed as a 24 month blended learning, work-based programme funded by the Apprenticeship Levy ensuring minimum time away from the workplace. Apprentices will use principles of problem-based and inquiry-led learning to demonstrate managerial effectiveness.
- Explores current issues facing businesses including the healthcare industry today and equips apprentices with a range of skills to address these challenges and opportunities as part of their organisation to become effective managers and leaders.
- The Mary Seacole programme, assessed and awarded by the NHS Leadership Academy, is ideal for first time leaders and seasoned operational managers, with responsibilities for people and services in healthcare.
Top 10 for Business and Management
7th in The Complete University Guide 2024
UK Business School of the Year
Times Higher Education Awards 2022
Triple accredited Business School
AMBA, AACSB, EQUIS
Membership of the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) from the start of the course
Our syllabus is triple accredited by the Chartered Manager Institute (CMI), University of Exeter and the NHS Leadership Academy. Successful completion of the programme will result in the award of the Level 6 Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship, a University of Exeter BSc (Hons) in Responsible Business Management, Mary Seacole Certificate (awarded by the NHS Leadership Academy) and CMI Chartered Manager status.
The Chartered Manager programme has two entry routes:
- Application through Accreditation of Prior Certificated Learning (APCL): This is where the applicant will have evidence of a L5 Leadership and Management qualification (completed within past five years) which can be accredited to demonstrate there is already an understanding of Leadership and Management principles
- Application through Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL): where an applicant has no APCL evidence, completion of an assessment will be required before acceptance to the programme to demonstrate previous management experience and professional competencies gained over time.
Applicants will have a minimum of two years management experience. English and Maths will also be required at a minimum of Level 2 (GCSE) prior to the End Point Assessment.
Applicants will be in a role that supports the gathering of evidence required for the Chartered Manager apprenticeship ‘standard’.
Individual employers may set additional selection criteria in discussion with the University.
Applicants must also have a valid and eligible residency status to gain entry onto the apprenticeship – please see the ESFA guidance for further information.
How to apply
The Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship (Mary Seacole) does not follow the standard UCAS application process. Selection to this programme is made by employers; applicants will already hold a post with an employer and continue working for them throughout the duration of this apprenticeship. Applicants will need to speak to their HR department and/or manager to gain sign off to undertake this apprenticeship.
Once your employer agrees to the apprenticeship, applicants will then be required undertake an application for the University. If successful, they will be offered a position. A place will be confirmed by us, and we will send further information about how to enrol as an apprentice.
Full programme cost: £22,000
The employer fully covers the cost of the apprenticeship; apprentices do not pay for any of the eligible training costs. The apprentice will be an employee of the organisation, gaining a University of Exeter award alongside working and earning a salary.
Employers who pay the Apprenticeship Levy will pay for the apprenticeship fees directly through that contribution. See further information on the Apprenticeship Levy funding.
Employers who do not pay the Levy will be able to claim 95 per cent of the cost of the apprenticeship from the Government. Up to 100 per cent Government contribution may be available if the employer has fewer than 50 employees and:
- Recruits an apprentice aged 16-18
- OR an apprentice aged 19-24 who has previously been in care or who has a local authority education, health and care plan
Employers must pay their apprentices a salary at least consistent with national legislation.
Funding eligibility criteria
- To be eligible for funding apprentices must meet the criteria listed in the ESFA guidance.
- The apprentice must also have a valid and eligible residency status to gain entry onto the apprenticeship – please see the ESFA guidance for further information.
The Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship (Mary Seacole) is suitable for current or aspiring healthcare managers and leaders who wish to develop their knowledge, skills and behaviours, enabling them to drive performance and productivity improvements in your organisation to achieve career aspirations.
Through this programme, apprentices will use principles of problem-based and inquiry-led learning to demonstrate managerial effectiveness using skills such as critical thinking, negotiation, innovation and creativity.
Apprentices develop well-rounded management skills by looking holistically across many business functions (Managing People, Marketing, Finance, Operations, Project Management, Digital Business and Technology, Decision Making) applying new knowledge to deepen their understanding. Using the knowledge gained, they will be able to apply knowledge into practice directly.
Apprentices will cover the following topics throughout the programme:
- Leading and Managing People
- Operational and Organisational Strategy
- Project Management and Decision Making
- Sales, Marketing and Communications
- Business Finance
- Digital Business and New Technology
Making the decision to start this course has been one of the best decisions of my career. My initial hopes were that the course would give me more confidence and theoretical knowledge to support my existing experience-based learning.
The course has helped me to achieve all this and more. I thought I had reached my limit with regards to career progression but the apprenticeship has given me renewed ambition and direction and I am excited for future opportunities.
Chartered Manager Degree Apprentice
Approximately 20 per cent of an apprentice's contractual working time will be given over to study (6 hours minimum per week). Our model is designed to be flexible around the needs of apprentices and workloads to minimise undue disruptions to their daily role and ensuring maximum flexibility to gain new knowledge and develop skills and behaviours.
Our blended learning model comprises of:
- Two-to-three day Masterclasses, totaling 28 days across the programme.
- Weekly distance learning comprising online classes and workshops, interactive exercises and lectures.
- Impactful work-based learning, and assessing projects undertaken in the workplace.
This programme will be assessed by:
- Knowledge and skills assessment
- Behavioural assessment
- Module assessments
- Structured competency-based interview
- Assessment of portfolio of evidence
- Assessment of the work-based project followed by a presentation on work-based project – with Q&A session
Our dedicated partnerships team liaise closely with employers throughout the programme. Alongside a team of world-leading academics with rich industry experience, apprentices will also have dedicated mentors to support and guide both them and their employer throughout the entire course of the apprenticeship.
This programme aligns with the Chartered Manager (degree) Apprenticeship Standard. Alongside studying for their Level 6 Apprenticeship, using the Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours of the apprenticeship standard, apprentices will also work towards a BSc in Responsible Business Management, CMI professional accreditation, and the Mary Seacole Certificate which is assessed and awarded by the NHS Leadership Academy.
Through this programme apprentices will use principles of problem-based and inquiry-led learning to demonstrate managerial effectiveness using skills such as critical thinking, negotiation, innovation and creativity.
Apprentices develop well-rounded management skills by looking holistically across the business functions (Managing People, Marketing, Finance, Operations, Project Management, Digital Business and Technology, Decision Making) applying new knowledge to deepen their understanding to drive impact within their roles.
For more information download our Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship flyer
Through this programme, employers' managerial potential will be unlocked, as well as the abilities to create solutions for future success. Apprentices will have become well-rounded leaders with valuable understanding across a range of business functions and strategic decision making (e.g. Managing People, Marketing, Finance, Operations, Project Management, Digital Business and Technology, Decision Making).
Our syllabus is Triple accredited by the Chartered Manager Institute (CMI) University of Exeter and the NHS Leadership Academy. Successful completion of the programme will result in the award of the Level 6 Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship, a University of Exeter BSc (Hons) in Responsible Business Management, Mary Seacole Certificate and CMI Chartered Manager status.
Fantastic facilities, outstanding teaching, world-leading research and exceptional graduate employability are just a few of the reasons we think you'll love it here. Find out what our students say about choosing Exeter.
Studying at our campuses in Devon or Cornwall means you'll have some of the most beautiful natural scenery in the UK on your doorstep. Find out about student life at Exeter and the huge range of sports, clubs and societies on offer.
One University, two locations
We have around 20,000 students across our three campuses in Devon and Cornwall which means we offer the academic excellence and facilities you'd expect of a major university but also a friendly and welcoming atmosphere.