Skip to main content

Postgraduate Taught

Fees and funding

Fees are listed in each programme entry. They are confirmed in the Autumn for students starting in the following academic year and are subject to change each year.

For those studying for more than one year, our fees are expected to increase modestly in line with Consumer Price Inflation measured in March each year. More information can be found on our Student Finance webpages.

The fee stated for a full-time Masters will usually be the total fee for a one-year programme. Fees for part-time and modular programmes (where available) are pro-rata. 

Fee status

The fees charged for study at the University of Exeter fall broadly into two categories:

  • Home
  • International

Your fee status classification depends on whether you meet certain criteria such as having ‘settled status’ in the UK and meeting a three year ordinary residence requirement. Full information can be found on the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website.

From 1 August 2021 the eligibility rules for Home fee status have changed for EU Students. Please refer to the UK Government website to see how this change affects you. Where EU students are not eligible for Home fees, they will be required to pay International fees.

Due to the Common Travel Area arrangement, Irish Nationals living in the UK or Ireland will be eligible for Home fee status; further information around eligibility is available at the above UKCISA link.

Please note that the University is unable to determine the fee status of an individual until after an application has been received and we are in receipt of full information concerning individual circumstances. This will then inform the decision as to whether a fee status assessment should be conducted.

If you have received an offer and you think your fee status is incorrect you have 28 days, from the date of your offer, to query your status. To query your fee status within the 28 day period please contact us at stating your full name, Exeter Reference number (or UCAS personal ID), programme for which you have been made an offer and providing details of why you think the fee classification is incorrect.

We base our decisions on an applicant’s residence status at time of application and do not hold applications or make offers conditional on fee status. If you are classified as an international student but your situation changes before you have received a decision on your application or after receiving an offer we will conduct a fee reassessment. You will need to submit your new information before 1 September in the year the programme starts, e.g. evidence of British Citizenship or Indefinite Leave to Remain being granted.

There are some circumstances where fee status can change in subsequent years, however this is very unusual. Please note that obtaining British Citizenship or Indefinite Leave to Remain part way through a course will not on its own result in a change in fee status. Meeting a three year ordinary residence requirement after starting a course is also not possible due to it needing to be the full three-year period before the first day of the first academic year of the course.

Further details about exceptions can be found on the UKCISA website under the heading ‘Becoming ‘home’ after the course has started’.

From the 2021/22 academic year, new and continuing students living in the Crown Dependencies (the ‘Islands’), who come to England solely for the purposes of higher or further education study, will be eligible for home fee status, on the basis of 3 years’ residency in the UK or the Islands. The UK Government confirmed this eligibility in December 2020. For information on support available to you for tuition fees and living costs you should contact your island education offices.

Please visit our Student Finance webpage for Channel Islands students for more information.

Other course costs

In addition to tuition fees and living costs, your programme of study may have other costs associated with it, such as laboratory equipment or field trips.


Visit our scholarships and funding website >>

Frequently asked questions

If the duration of your chosen programme of study spans more than one academic year, the tuition fees for future years are expected to rise by a modest amount to take account of inflationary pressures. You can view tuition fees for students already studying with us on our Student Finance web pages.

If you receive an offer of a place on a full-time taught postgraduate programme you will need to pay a tuition fee deposit to confirm your place.

Tuition fees are typically payable in two 50% instalments, normally in September (at the start of your course) and January each year. See our student finance pages for more details.

Students from other EU countries can continue to apply for places on postgraduate courses starting in 2020/21 knowing that they will pay the same tuition fees as UK students for the duration of their courses, and can also continue to apply for student loans.

From 2021/22 the eligibility rules for home fee status are changing. Please refer to the UK Government website to see how this change affects you at

When you're studying for a Masters your tuition fee is only one part of the cost of doing a postgraduate degree: you also have to consider accommodation and living costs.

Accommodation costs

Accommodation costs will vary depending on whether you live in private or University-owned accommodation. More details regarding accommodation, including costs, are available on our accommodation page.

Living costs

The National Union of Students estimates student living costs, including accommodation, to be approximately £12,000 per year outside London.

Living costs are, to some extent, up to you. You will need to make choices about how you live and what your priorities are, but make sure you factor in:

  • food and toiletries
  • clothes and laundry
  • mobile / telephone / internet charges
  • Visa fees (for international students)
  • Council Tax (part-time students are eligible to pay)
  • travel costs, particularly if you want to visit home in vacations
  • books and other course materials
  • leisure, sport and entertainment
  • sundries, such as haircuts, prescriptions etc