|Discipline||Business and Management|
Web: Enquire online
- Equip yourself with business acumen, commercial understanding, intercultural skills, and linguistic ability in your chosen language
- Open up your career prospectus to the global business community
- Study one of 7 modern languages: Chinese, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish.
- Tailor the direction of your studies by choosing any of our wide range of business and management modules, which are taught by our triple-accredited Business School. Optional modules include Human Resource Management, Marketing, Accounting, Innovation, Leadership, Entrepreneurship, Strategic Management and Sustainability.
- Spend your third year abroad, giving you an immersive language study experience
- Delivered jointly by the University of Exeter Business School and our world top 100 College of Humanities
- Students often get involved in activities outside class such as language societies, tandem partnerships, liaison work in schools and the community such as our Translation! Festival – the only public festival dedicated to translation in the UK.
UK Business School of the Year
Times Higher Education Awards 2022
Top 10 for Business and Management
8th in The Complete University Guide 2023
Triple accredited business school
AMBA, AACSB, EQUIS
Top 150 in world subject rankings for Modern Languages and Cultures
QS World University Subject Rankings 2023
Entry requirements (typical offer)
|Qualification||Typical offer||Required subjects|
|A-Level||AAA||Dependent on subjects chosen.|
|IB||36/666||Dependent on subjects chosen.|
|BTEC||DDD||Dependent on subjects chosen.|
|GCSE||B or 5||Grade 5/B in GCSE English Language, Mathematics and a Modern Language.|
|Access to HE||30 L3 credits at Distinction Grade and 15 L3 credits at Merit Grade.||Dependent on level chosen the required L3 credits in Modern Foreign Language subject area.|
Specific subject requirements must still be achieved where stated above. Find out more about contextual offers.
|Other UK, EU and International equivalences|
|English language requirements||
International students need to show they have the required level of English language to study this course. The required test scores for this course fall under Profile C (2). Please visit our English language requirements page to view the required test scores and equivalencies from your country.
NB General Studies is not included in any offer.
Grades advertised on each programme webpage are the typical level at which our offers are made and provide information on any specific subjects an applicant will need to have studied in order to be considered for a place on the programme. However, if we receive a large number of applications for the programme we may not be able to make an offer to all those who are predicted to achieve/have achieved grades which are in line with our typical offer. For more information on how applications are assessed and when decisions are released, please see: After you apply
- Grade B at A level is required in any language you intend to study from A level.
- You may only choose one language.
- Students wishing to pursue language study on the basis of a GCSE are normally classed as beginners.
- French, German, Italian, Russian, and Spanish can be studied either from A level or beginner’s level, with both cohorts reaching degree level in the final year. Portuguese and Chinese can normally only be studied from beginner’s level, not from A Level; students of these two languages reach degree level in final year.
Languages and levels available for Combined Honours courses
I want to study a new language at beginner level alongside my other subject
|Modern Languages requirements||GCSE grade B/grade 5 (or equivalent) in any Modern Foreign Language|
|Advanced level languages available||n/a|
|Beginners level languages available||Chinese (Mandarin); French; German; Italian; Portuguese; Russian; Spanish|
I want to study my A level (or equivalent) language at advanced level alongside my other subject
|Modern Languages requirements||A level grade B or IB HL 5 (or equivalent) in the language chosen at advanced level|
|Advanced level languages available||French; German; Italian; Russian; Spanish|
|Beginners level languages available||n/a|
Completing your UCAS form
In the section named ‘further details’ on your UCAS application form please indicate in the ‘choices’ field the language and route you wish to study using the abbreviations below, separated by a space:
The modules we outline here provide examples of what you can expect to learn on this degree course based on recent academic teaching. The precise modules available to you in future years may vary depending on staff availability and research interests, new topics of study, timetabling and student demand.
You may take option modules as long as any necessary prerequisites have been satisfied, where the timetable allows and if you have not already taken the module in question or an equivalent module.
- Descriptions of the individual modules are given in full on the Business School undergraduate module list.
This degree includes a compulsory year abroad with the option to study at a partner university, undertake a year-long work placement, or combine both.
Your placement year will take place in your third year, before returning to complete your degree at Exeter in your fourth and final year of study.
Tuition fees for 2023 entry
UK students: £9,250 per year
International students: £21,500 per year
The University of Exeter has over £2.5 million in scholarships available for students applying to study with us in 2023 - including our Global Excellence Scholarships* for international fee paying students and financial support for students from disadvantaged backgrounds, lower income households and other under-represented groups to help them access, succeed and progress through higher education.
* Terms and conditions apply. See online for details.
Learning and teaching
How will I learn?
You will learn through a mix of:
- Lectures of one or two hours once a week for each module. These give you the information central to the module and help you understand complex ideas.
- Seminars and tutorials every week or every other week for each module. They cover in-depth discussions of topics introduced in lectures.
- Total timetabled study hours (lectures, seminars, tutorials) for your whole degree are on average between 11 and 14 hours per week. In addition you are expected to complete an average of 20-25 hours of independent or group study per week.
How will I be assessed?
Modules are assessed through a mixture of:
- Group work
- Project work
The weighting of these components varies according the module. Coursework is typically between 2,500 and 6,000 words in length, and exams are usually held at the end of the module in January and May/June.
Where will I study?
You will be based at the purpose built University of Exeter Business School located on the Streatham Campus in Exeter, Devon.
The BA International Business and Modern Languages is a unique programme that enables you to tailor your degree to your own strengths and employability aspirations by acquiring core specific knowledge and skills as well as selecting new subjects during your learning journey.
It is a natural fit for students wanting to give themselves an advantage in the global commercial world, and provides you with a potent combination of intercultural skills, business acumen, relevant commercial knowledge, and linguistic ability to really stand out from other graduates without this complementary combination of abilities.
We anticipate that most graduates will move on to business-oriented careers – management, marketing, finance, etc – but that they will pursue these careers across the globe for a much broader range of international companies than usual.
Skills developed during this collaborative degree – including the fully-integrated year abroad – include analytical problem solving, written and verbal fluency, managing and analysing information, cultural awareness, research, team working, and critical thinking, all of which are essential to modern global business.
The University of Exeter Business School provides a range of careers and employability support for Undergraduate students. Visit the Business School Career Zone webpage for more information.