|Duration||1 year full time|
Programme Director: Dr Jane Shen
- For students interested in pursuing a career in investment banking or asset management, you’ll study advanced financial theory and acquire expertise in investment analysis and fund management within one of very few finance programmes globally to be awarded CFA® ‘University Affiliation Program’ status
- Boost your employability with a dedicated careers module, a week-long international study trip to one or two of our global partner universities, and the option to take two levels of the CFA exams with dedicated support from the Business School.
- You will be challenged with an academically rigorous curriculum supported by practical experiences to ensure you gain the skills demanded by global organisations
- Enjoy access to our 24/7 finance lab hosting major databases including Bloomberg and Thomson Reuters
- Participate in the Business School Ethics Challenge analysing CFA case studies, and apply to the Global CFA Investment Research Challenge judged by CFA experts.
CFA® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are registered trademarks owned by CFA Institute.
Triple accredited Business School
Accredited by AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB
MSc Financial Analysis and Fund Management ranked 10th in the UK and 50th globally in the Financial Times European Business School Rankings 2022
Enhance your degree with Study Abroad opportunities
One of a select group of universities worldwide with CFA® Institute ‘University Affiliation Program’ status
The University of Exeter’s MSc Financial Analysis and Fund Management degree presented a programme that was different from many others I saw in the field of finance. You have the opportunity to earn a Masters degree and also prepare and partake in both Level I and II of the CFA® examinations.
MSc Financial Analysis and Fund Management
A 2:1 or above with honours in Accounting, Finance, Investment, Economics, Maths, Business or related discipline from a recognised university. Evidence of mathematical/quantitative* ability is essential. The majority of our candidates will be expecting a First or 2:1 degree, however, we do consider all applications where there is evidence of exceptional performance in modules relevant to the programme of study, significant relevant work experience or professional qualifications such as CFA, ACCA, ICAEW, ICAS and CIMA.
In order to apply for the MSc Financial Analysis and Fund Management candidates must be able to demonstrate strengths in: Finance, Accounting, Economics and Mathematics.
*Mathematics modules may include, for example, Algebra, Calculus, Econometrics, Statistics, Probability or Optimisation.
Pre-Masters programme for international students
The Graduate Diploma in Finance run by the INTO University of Exeter Centre is a pre-Masters programme designed to enhance your subject knowledge, study skills and English ability. Successful completion of the Diploma (subject to achieving the specific grades of entry) gives students from overseas the skills needed for acceptance onto this Masters programme.
This programme is a 12-month full-time programme, studied over three terms, and is University-based throughout this time. The taught components of the programme are delivered in the first two terms, with the third term, and most of the summer, either researching and writing a dissertation/project, or learning python through the coding analytic course, or study abroad through the newly introduced summer programme.
We also offer an intensive three-week induction programme in September for the CFA prep programme delivered by CFA® trainers designed to provide specific help and training for students sitting the CFA® exams.
The programme, including the three-week induction course, runs from September to September.
The intensive induction course will commence at the very beginning of September.
If you choose to work towards Levels I and II of the CFA examinations, we will give you dedicated support including:
- Rebate on the examination fees for the Levels I and II*
- Three-week introduction and training boot camp held at the beginning of September
- Dedicated workshops and events delivered by CFA® Practitioners
- 10 CFA Scholarships to be awarded to students with outstanding academic record in July
*Subject to providing a valid receipt
- During the programme you will study modules (including the dissertation) totalling 180 credits.
- To ensure a high level of coverage of the CFA® syllabus all of the modules on this programme are compulsory.
- Please note that modules are subject to change.
- Descriptions of the individual modules are given in full on the Business School postgraduate module list.
UK fees per year:
International fees per year:
£1 million in Business School scholarships available
We want to ensure that postgraduate study remains accessible to the brightest minds of the future. We therefore have a range of full and part-fee scholarships for postgraduate students looking to study at the Business School in 2022. Please see our scholarships page for more information.
We invest heavily in scholarships for talented prospective Masters students and have over £2.5 million in scholarships available, including our Global Excellence Scholarships* and Green Futures Scholarships* for international fee paying students.
For information on how you can fund your postgraduate degree at the University of Exeter, please visit our dedicated funding page.
*Selected programmes only. Please see the Terms and Conditions for each scheme for further details.
Teaching and research
Our postgraduate taught programmes utilise a range of teaching methods including lectures, seminars and tutorials. Our lectures are typically taught in a large lecture theatre, but you’ll be split into smaller groups for seminars, workshops, or tutorials.
The aim of lectures is to give you information on ideas that are central to the module and to help you in developing your understanding of complex ideas. Many of the teaching materials for lectures are made available to you electronically to accompany the notes you take during the lecture. Lectures are given by a range of staff members, including leading professors, who integrate their latest research findings into the teaching that you receive. Guest lecturers, including senior experts from industry, also contribute to some modules.
Seminars and tutorials
Seminars and tutorials involve an in-depth exploration of the issues covered in lectures as well as giving you the opportunity to discuss various concepts and theories and receive feedback on your written assignments.
Practical case study classes and workshops
Practical case study computer-based classes are an integral part of the programme built within many modules, where students are able to apply specialist knowledge and quantitative analytical skills to solve complex financial problems under the guidance from our industry-leading faculty
An intensive financial database and technology training workshop covering most widely used databases such as Bloomberg, S&P capital IQ, Refinitiv Eikon, WRDS, with application in STATA, R, Matlab or Phyton
A company analysis workshop run by an industry practitioner to help develop practical investment understanding, augment presentation skills and provide an insight into current real-world information
Our research is rated as world-leading or internationally excellent in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021.
MSc Financial Analysis and Fund Management is underpinned by the research that is undertaken by our world-leading faculty. As students of the programme, you will be part of this vibrant research community.
We are a research intensive faculty and cover a wide range of themes which inform our teaching. Our research is driven by the understanding that accounting and finance continues to play a fundamental role in organisations and society. As a result, many of our inspiring academics are regularly invited to advise policy-makers at institutions including H.M Revenue and Customs, International Accounting Standards Board, Financial Reporting Council, the Pensions Regulator, and the Bank of England.
Taught by leading experts
You will be taught by internationally respected academics who are at the forefront of their research. We draw upon disciplines across the social sciences and give emphasis to the dynamic nature of enterprise, global connectivity and the management and leadership of the global challenges that lie ahead.
The Business School is home to the following research centres
- Centre for Entrepreneurship
- Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning
- Centre for Simulation, Analytics and Modelling (CSAM)
- Exeter Centre for Social Networks (ECSN)
- Exeter Centre for Leadership (ExCL)
- Initiative in the Digital Economy at Exeter (INDEX)
- Land, Environment, Economics and Policy Institute (LEEP)
- Research Methods Centre
- Tax Administration Research Centre (TARC)
- The Exeter Centre for Circular Economy (ECCE)
Preparing you for success
This Masters degree is designed to prepare you for a successful career, wherever in the world you plan to work. We’ll prepare you for your career by teaching you advanced communication and technical skills, team-working and independent research, project-management and the very latest specialist knowledge.
Many of our graduates go into careers with some of the most well-known firms in the financial sector, including J.P. Morgan, HSBC, Deloitte, UBS, PWC, KPMG, and Fidelity.
Extensive careers support
Your employability is a main priority for us, so we offer a range of excellent career support and additional activities including:
- A brand new Finance and Banking Career Management Module, designed exclusively for the programme. This module covers mock application proves and an overview of the roles you can look to progress into
- You can extend your programme with the prestigious QTEM Network, taking part in a one-semester exchange, a 1.5-month internship and participation in the QTEM Data Challenge leading to the QTEM certificate demonstrating your high-level analytical ability, work experience and international exposure
- One-to-one appointments are available with our dedicated, highly qualified postgraduate careers consultants including CV workshops and mock interviews
- Employer led workshops from top investment banks and financial service companies, to offer you advice and insights into their recruitment processes
- Access to the Career Mentor Scheme to develop your professional goals by connecting with alumni in your chosen field
- Weekly careers e-bulletins bringing you the latest career news and events
- Financial database training leading to the award of the Bloomberg Market Concept (BMC) Certificate and the Thomson Reuters Product certificate upon completion
- Academic / Research challenges give you the opportunity to participate in various events and challenges including the CFA(R) Investment Research Challenge, the Business School’s Ethics Challenge and the Bloomberg Investment Ideas Challenge.
Join our alumni network
After graduation, you will join our network of over 120,000 alumni who are making a real difference across the globe in fields including: find management, investment banking, corporate finance, trading and wealth management.
Developing your skills and career prospects
The University of Exeter Business School provides a range of support to help you develop skills attractive to employers. Visit our Business School careers service web page for more information.
Enhance your degree with Study Abroad opportunities
After your first year of studies at Exeter, you can progress onto the QTEM Programme. QTEM aims to prepare students with excellent quantitative and analytical skills to support their future careers as decision makers leading the global business environment.
If you are accepted onto the QTEM Programme, you will spend an additional semester studying at one of the prestigious academic partners. This will be followed by a quantitatively focussed internship and participation in the QTEM Data Challenge which includes online data science and leadership courses as well real data analysis.
Students will be selected and nominated to QTEM by the University of Exeter Business School following a competitive internal application process. Places are limited so we recommend you register your interest before applying for your Masters.
*Open to high achieving students enrolled in the following University of Exeter Business School programmes: MSc Financial Analysis and Fund Management, MSc Finance and Investment, MSc Economics, MSc Economics and Econometrics, MSc Financial Economics, and MSc Business Analytics.
Spend your first year at Exeter and a second year at another world class international institution, resulting in two Masters degrees and the opportunity to expand your knowledge even further. We offer two fantastic Double Degree options with:
- Grenoble Ecole de Management in France
- Fudan University School of Economics in China**
For more information on QTEM and Double Degrees and other postgraduate study abroad opportunities, visit the Business School’s Study Abroad webpages.