Skip to main content

Returning to the UK without your BRP

Returning to the UK without your BRP

We strongly recommend that you apply for a single entry replacement BRP visa. This visa is a vignette (sticker) in your passport issued for one month and will enable you to re-enter the UK. You will need to attend a biometrics appointment at a British embassy or visa application centre and the visa can take up to 3 weeks from your appointment to obtain. A priority visa application service may be available in the country you are applying from. Instructions to apply below. 

Applying for a single entry replacement BRP visa 

Click on the link to apply for a single entry replacement BRP visa. If you are presented with a page that asks you to select a language, select your language, then select BRP Vignette Transfer, then follow the instructions below.

  • Add the country where you will be making your application and providing your biometrics.
  • Confirm you can travel to a biometric enrolment location 
  • Click on Apply Now 
  • In Category of application, select A replacement biometric residence permit (BRP) visa 
  • Register your email address and create a password 

Complete the online form and submit it, pay £154 + User Pay’s fee in certain countries* and make an appointment according to the instructions for your nearest UK embassy or visa application centre.  *A priority service may be offered at extra cost.

Applying using the Visa4UK service if you will be applying in Cuba, Iran, Palestinian Occupied Territories or Sudan

Register an account on

Click on "Apply for Myself" to create your application form.

Complete the Applicant Details section including your current location. Note the advice on this page is pertinent to the country from which you are applying; in some countries, there are supplementary forms or online processes to complete.

Complete the “Select Visa Type” section; complete this section as advised below.
• Reason for Visit: Other
• Visa Type: Other
• Visa Sub-Type: Replacement Biometric Residence Permit

Entering the UK without applying for a single entry BRP visa 

You do still have valid immigration leave, even though you have lost your BRP card. We are aware that some students have been allowed to re-enter the UK with their passport and a photocopy or scan of their missing BRP card. UK Border Officers have the discretion to allow this but it is not official procedure and therefore there is a risk that you would be refused entry and sent back to the country you travelled from. Visa nationals in particular could also be refused permission to board their flight to the UK.

This option is therefore risky and we would always recommend applying for a single entry replacement BRP visa rather that travelling to the UK without your BRP. However, if you wish to attempt it you should be prepared to show a scan of your missing BRP card and your Student Status Letter. 

E-passport gates

If you are a national of a country permitted to enter the UK via the e-passport gates you can attempt to do so. However, if for any reason you are unable to use the gates and you need to see a UK Border Officer you would be expected to show evidence of your leave. If you do not have a single entry replacement BRP visa in your passport this carries the same risks outlined above. 


You may be required to provide information from the following documents during the application process. Please contact us if you would like us to send you scans of these:

  • Passport or BRP card
  • Original CAS statement
  • Student Status Letter confirming that you are a registered student


We advise you to contact your College to inform them of your situation especially if there may be an impact on your attendance.