- Level 4 Investment Operations Specialist Apprenticeship Certificate
- Level 6 Financial Services Professional Apprenticeship Certificate
- BSc (Hons) Applied Finance
In addition, apprentices will also gain the following professional qualifications (dependant on the pathway chosen by their employer). Either:
- Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment (CISI) Investment Operations Certificate
- CISI Diploma in Investment Operations
- CISI Investment Operations Certificate
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Institute Level 1
- CFA Society UK Investment Management Certificate
- CFA Level 1
As detailed above, we offer industry qualifications from professional bodies (the CISI, the CFA Society UK and the CFA Institute) as part of the programme. The CISI and CFA qualifications gained depends on the pathway chosen by the employer for the apprentice, based on their job role.
- A flexible programme designed for those who are either new to the Financial Services sector and starting their career journey, or those with varying levels of existing experience looking to upskill and progress their careers.
- Gain a range of qualifications whilst gaining valuable real-world work experience. In addition to the studying for a Bachelors degree, apprentices will study towards an Apprenticeship and industry recognised professional qualifications.
- Face-to-face learning will take place primarily in the apprentice's place of work, with occasional visits to the University's Streatham Campus. All apprentices are registered students of the University of Exeter with full access to all University resources and services.
- Apprentices will benefit from a range of teaching methods such as in-depth masterclasses, innovative online learning and coaching from our world-class academics and mentors, with experience drawn from the financial services sector.
- In addition to their studies and mentoring apprentices will gain valuable experience as an employee of a leading financial services company.
UK Top 10 for Accounting and Finance
The Guardian University Guide 2022
Triple accredited business school
AMBA, AACSB, EQUIS
Gain five qualifications through one programme along with valuable real-world experience
Flexible delivery and blended learning
Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment (CISI) Investment Operations Certificate during Level 4 Investment Operations Specialist Standard.
CFA Society UK
CFA Society of United Kingdom (CFA UK) Investment Management Certificate during Level 4 Investment Operations Specialist Standard.
CFA Institute (CFA) CFA Level I during Level 6 Financial Services Professional Degree Apprenticeship Standard.
Successful completion of the programme will result in the award of the Level 6 Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner Apprenticeship, and the University of Exeter Graduate Certificate Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner.
Individual employers will set the selection criteria for their Apprenticeships in discussion with the University. Please refer to employers’ individual recruitment pages for more information.
Typically, applicants will have A-levels (or equivalent) or existing relevant Level 3 qualifications, and English, Maths at Level 2. If not already achieved Level 2 English and Maths is required prior to the End Point Assessment.
Where a candidate has already gained a good undergraduate degree this may be offered to meet entry requirements. Other relevant or prior experience may also be considered as an alternative so we would encourage applicants with non-standard qualifications to contact us to discuss their eligibility.
Applicants must have a valid and eligible residency status to gain entry onto the apprenticeship – please see the ESFA guidance for further information.
How to apply
Financial Services Professional Degree Apprenticeship does not follow the standard UCAS application process. To gain a place candidates must apply directly to one of our partner employers’ vacancies.
Candidates can apply to this programme in addition to making applications to any institution through UCAS. When vacancies are open they will be advertised by our employer partners and on University of Exeter Degree Apprenticeship website. Please be aware that employers start their recruitment at different times of the year so please be sure to check regularly.
How to apply
- Vacancies are advertised by employers and promoted through our current vacancies page when they become available.
- Candidates should apply through their chosen company's website via the links which are available on this page once vacancies become live. Candidates are welcome to apply for more than one vacancy.
- Please be aware that each company will have their own recruitment process, the stages and timelines may vary.
- If applicants are successful they will be offered a position as an apprentice with the company.
- An apprenticeship place on the programme will be confirmed by University of Exeter, and we will send further information about how to enrol as a student.
- If candidates have not been successful this time, do not worry! Keep an eye out for other opportunities on our vacancies page.
Full programme cost: £27,000
This includes £9,000 to complete level 4 and £18,000 to complete Level 6.
This apprenticeship is entirely funded through an Employers’ Apprenticeship Levy. Your employer fully covers the cost of the apprenticeship, apprentices do not pay for any of the eligible training costs. As an apprentice you will be an employee of your organisation, gaining a University of Exeter award alongside working and earning a salary.
Employers who pay the Apprenticeship Levy will pay for the apprenticeship fees directly through that contribution. See further information on the Apprenticeship Levy funding.
Employers who do not pay the Levy will be able to claim 95 per cent of the cost of the apprenticeship from the Government. Up to 100 per cent Government contribution may be available if the employer has fewer than 50 employees and:
- Recruits an apprentice aged 16-18
- OR an apprentice aged 19-24 who has previously been in care or who has a local authority education, health and care plan
Employers must pay their apprentices a salary at least consistent with national legislation.
Funding eligibility criteria
- To be eligible for funding you must meet the criteria listed in the ESFA guidance. Full guidance is available here.
- The apprentice must have a valid and eligible residency status to gain entry onto the apprenticeship – please see the ESFA guidance for further information.
Integrative in its design and delivery, this apprenticeship is designed for individuals who are new to the Financial Services sector and starting their career journey, or those with varying levels of existing experience in the field who are progressing their career within an organisation.
Throughout the programme apprentices will develop core knowledge of the structure of the Financial Services industry; the relevant legal and regulatory framework and ethics; proficiency in relevant IT skills and software/systems and the approach to deliver fair client outcomes across the business setting including best practice.
Each stage of study is structured to incorporate masterclasses, online learning, academic coaching and workplace mentoring. Assessment is ongoing and is relevant to the work tasks of apprentices, measuring the higher-level thinking skills demonstrated in a variety of problem-based assignments
Approximately 20 per cent of an apprentice's contractural working time will be given over to study. Our model is designed to be flexible around the needs of apprentices and workloads. No weekly day-release is required, mitigating disruption of their daily role and ensuring maximum flexibility.
Our blended learning model comprises of:
- Termly two to three day masterclasses delivered at the apprentice's workplace
- Weekly distance learning comprising online classes and workshops, interactive exercises and recorded lectures
- Work-based learning, assessing projects undertaken in the workplace.
Assessment is ongoing and is relevant to the apprentice's professional work tasks, measuring the higher-level thinking skills demonstrated in a variety of problem-based assignments.
The personal development activities, assignments and reflections that apprentices produce will all offer material for the final apprenticeship End Point Assessment professional portfolio.
Our dedicated partnerships team liaise closely with employers throughout the programme; apprentices will have dedicated mentors to assist and guide them throughout the whole course of the apprenticeship
Alongside studying for a Bachelors degree, apprentices will also work towards their apprenticeships and the mandated professional qualifications. They will gain the Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours of the apprenticeship standards below. Apprentices will follow the level 4 Investment Operations Specialist first, then once this is complete, they will progress onto the level 6 Financial Services Professional for the remainder of their apprenticeship. Employers and prospective apprentices can access the assessment plans through the links below.
Combining professional experience and qualifications along with a highly-respected degree from a top Russell Group University will help apprentices stand out from the crowd as they progress through their career. Throughout the apprenticeship students will focus on establishing themselves as a Financial Services Professional providing an important foundation upon which to further develop their career.
Drawing upon academic guidance, professional development coaching and workplace mentoring, apprentices benefit from a wealth of inspiration and advice to guide and support their professional development planning.
Depending upon the vacancy the candidate has applied for, they might be working for an SME or a multinational corporation. Either way, their employer will be fully committed to and supportive of their studies.
Through this unique programme apprentices will gain the skills to become highly competent professionals ready to excel in the finance industry. The apprenticeship will cover a base of core knowledge required of all individuals entering or progressing to this level in the sector, and a set of specialist options that then provide the occupationally specific training, depending on the requirements of the employer.
Delivered through a flexible blended learning model, the programme enable employers to recruit, train and retain high-calibre talent in partnership with the University.
Studying at our campuses in Devon or Cornwall means you'll have some of the most beautiful natural scenery in the UK on your doorstep. Find out about student life at Exeter and the huge range of sports, clubs and societies on offer.
Fantastic facilities, outstanding teaching, world-leading research and exceptional graduate employability are just a few of the reasons we think you'll love it here. Find out what our students say about choosing Exeter.
One University, two locations
We have around 20,000 students across our three campuses in Devon and Cornwall which means we offer the academic excellence and facilities you'd expect of a major university but also a friendly and welcoming atmosphere.