|Duration||Minimum 24 months*|
|Entry year||September 2023|
|Discipline||MSc International Business (Online)|
Web: Enquire online
Programme Director: Dr Alex Thompson
A 2:2 with honours in any discipline from a recognised university
For ambitious graduates looking for a fast track into global business. This course offers a combination of practical skill and cross-disciplinary insight that promises to make you stand out from the crowd.
- Explore international business from a range of disciplines and stakeholder perspectives, from marketing and economics to accounting and finance.
- Learn how to apply a global context to a variety of businesses wherever in the world you choose to work, at times that fit your busy schedule.
- Gain an understanding of cross-cultural issues that are the foundation of effective business communication.
- Develop your own business plan, with support from the programme director. This fosters practical and applied business skills that solve real-world issues and will equip you to compete in today’s global marketplace.
- Delivered by our triple accredited Business School, which is redefining the role of business and making excellence and aspiration our business
- Work with leading academics that are internationally recognised in their field of study.
*Minimum of 24 months with potential to extend up to 5 years maximum. Subject to approval and funding restrictions.
Web: Enquire online
Phone: +44 (0)1392 72 72 72
Fully online programme
Our Business School is 'triple crown' accredited (EQUIS, AACSB, AMBA).
Study at a top 15 uk university
15th in the Guardian University Guide 2023 and 13th in the The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023
UK Business School of the Year
Times Higher Education Awards 2022
A 2:2 with honours in any discipline from a recognised university, or relevant professional qualifications, or significant work experience.
We do consider all applications where there is evidence of exceptional performance in modules relevant to the programme of study, significant relevant work experience or professional qualifications.
English language requirements
IELTS – an overall score of 6.5, with no less than 6.0 in any section.
The online learning platform at Exeter is great. The platform lays out all the information simply and I find it useful that each week structures the learning into bitesize chunks.
At the end of each week, there is also a learning summary section. I have found that beneficial to look back to and see what key points were covered that I can use for my assignment
MSc International Business Online student
Please note that programme structures may be subject to change. The modules listed here are indicative. The precise modules available to you in future years may vary depending on your point of entry, staff availability and research interests, new topics of study and student demand.
We’ve tailored the MSc International Business Online course for people who live busy lives, as we understand what it is like to have to prioritise your career and family obligations but are also ready to take the next big step in your professional career.
If you’re looking to develop the skills sought by employers to take your career to the next level, I highly recommend this course. Our faculty and staff are here to welcome and support you as you embark on this important next step in your professional journey.
Dr Lisa Grover
Fees and funding
September 2023 entry:
£2500 per module (£15,000 in total for whole degree completed in 2 years)
The fee for your chosen programme or module is shown at the top of its web page. This shows the total amount it will cost if you complete the degree if you take the minimum time of two years. If you take longer than two years, for example, because you take one or more breaks between modules, the total fee you pay may increase slightly due to inflation.
Pay as you study
To make it easier to budget, you don’t need to pay the total fee upfront. Instead, you can pay for each module as you are about to start studying it. You can pay for the whole year if you prefer, but the minimum payment is at least the cost of the module(s) you are taking that term. Please note that if your payment has not reached us by the end of week one of a module, you will have to wait until the next term to start.
How to pay
You can pay online using a credit or debit card. We are unable to give you access to your study materials before your payment reaches us so it’s important to have your finances in place and pay when prompted to ensure you can access your studies at the start of each term.
We want to ensure that online postgraduate study remains accessible to the brightest minds of the future. The University of Exeter Business School Online Programme Scholarship award amounts are £5,000 for online MSc applicants and £750 for those studying individual online modules. These awards are available to UK and International applicants who already hold an offer to study a University of Exeter Business School online programme or online module beginning in the 2022/23 academic year. Find out more information about how to apply.
Other costs to consider
As well as your fees, there are some potential additional costs to be aware of to ensure that you give yourself the best chance of success. These include a suitable computer or device to study and work from, an adequate internet connection to access your learning materials and connect with others, and a comfortable place to study.
While our online programmes do not require any attendance on campus, as a student of the University of Exeter you are always welcome to visit. You may also be offered the chance to attend a graduation ceremony in person, for which travel costs and gown hire will apply.
Help with paying for your studies
If you are struggling to afford your chosen programme of study, some help may be available from either the government or the university. This includes:
- Postgraduate student loans. If you live in the UK, you may be able to access a loan to help pay for your online degree fees and living costs while you study. To be eligible, you must not already have a Masters degree (or above). For information on how to apply and your student finance entitlement, please visit the following links depending on whether you live in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.
If you are awaiting the approval of a postgraduate loan to pay for the course and evidence is provided through the Admissions application gateway, access to learning material will be provided prior to receipt of payment.
- Disabled Student Allowance (DSA).
Most UK students with a physical disability or mental health difficulty, long term health condition or specific learning difficulty will be able to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance which can help towards the cost of specialist equipment, one-to-one support and other costs associated with your condition. If you feel this applies to you, you are encouraged to apply as early as possible as the whole process can take up to 12 weeks. If you complete an application and are not eligible for DSA, please make an appointment with the AccessAbility Team to discuss alternative funding and support. This step-by-step guide to applying for DSA will give you all the information you need on applying.
- Success for All fund. Some financial support may be possible through our Success for All fund as assessed on a case-by-case basis providing eligibility criteria are met. Fully online students are not automatically eligible for an IT bursary, but exceptions may be made in some circumstances. However, please note the University would expect students to have made reasonable provision to support themselves during their studies prior to enrolling on a module.
- Employer sponsorship. Your employer or another organisation you are associated with may be happy to pay all or part of your fee. If you are getting financial support in this way, we can invoice them directly for the value that they have agreed to support before you start your studies. You will have to pay any balance so that the module you are studying is paid in full before you start.
- Student discounts. Our online students are fully registered students of the university, and therefore can ask for an Exeter Unicard, which can be used to access a wide range of student discounts on everyday items including food and clothing. You can also apply for student discounts on products and services through the UniDays card.
Teaching and learning
At Exeter, we use a 30-credit-per-term, three-term-per-year structure. This means you’ll study one 30 credit module per term.
Terms start in January, May and September. Assessment will take place at the end of the term, after which you'll take time to recharge, reflect on how your module and assessments went, decide on your next module and pay for it before getting started again. The rest of the term is divided into learning time, preparation of assessments and your tutors marking your work and getting feedback to you. The exact mix of these activities will vary depending on the module.
You should expect to study around 10-15 hours per week on average. Some of this will be structured teaching and learning activities, the rest will be self-directed learning, such as reading or preparing for assessments. For more detailed information on what studying online with the University of Exeter looks like, visit our ‘Why study online’ pages.
We understand that balancing study with other commitments in your life may be tricky at times. Our modules are designed to stand alone rather than progress in a certain order, meaning that if life gets in the way, you can take a break and join your next module the following term. We have resources to help you manage your time, and our Study Zone staff can help you with the academic and planning skills you need to make your time with us as successful as it can be.
Each module has an academic lead, and often a team of colleagues, to direct your learning.
All our online students also have a dedicated Student Support Officer, there to guide you throughout your journey with us. In addition, we have teams of professionals around the university ready to help you – from library to wellbeing services.
University of Exeter Business School alumni go onto careers that really make a difference to the world around us. From working in politics guiding policy, as development managers in multi-national firms like Unilever, heading up a tourist board improving international reputation, to working as fund managers handling assets worth billions.
In an increasingly competitive business environment, it is now more important than ever to demonstrate a global outlook to graduate employers. Our flexible and innovative MSc International Business Online has been designed for ambitious students who want to launch an international career and apply a global context to a variety of businesses, wherever in the world you choose to work.
As part of your learning experience, you will attend specialist practical workshops equipping you with the knowledge and skills to tackle real-world problems. You will draw from core modules in finance, accounting, marketing and international business, which are the essential business skill sets needed for higher management.
A core objective of the MSc International Business is to help you develop your strategic thinking abilities to solve real-world business issues. This course will help you to apply these solutions in a global context and across a variety of business contexts.
Graduates can look to work in a diverse range of roles, including:
- International business director
- Marketing and strategy consultant
- Procurement and purchasing manager
- Business and commercial analyst
- Brand manager
- Human Resource manager
One thing every graduate shares is the host of benefits and support you can take advantage of:
- Access to international alumni networks and groups
- Exclusive online library access to thousands of academic resources and journals
- Invitations to alumni events across the globe
- Latest University news and research from our “EXETER” magazine
Our Exeter alumni careers support is a forever service, meaning you will always have access to the huge range of support on our My Career Zone hub, including:
- Graduate job listings and internship opportunities
- One-to-one appointments with Career Consultants
- CV, cover letter and application form checking
- Online webinars
- Career Mentoring (as a mentee for up to three years after graduation, and as a mentor past three years)
- Access to articles and podcasts
The University of Exeter Business School
The University of Exeter Business School believes in leadership for a better world. This ethos is infused in everything we do, as we teach our students how to use sustainable and responsible business principles to become successful leaders.
The University of Exeter is part of the prestigious Russell Group, which represents 24 leading UK universities committed to maintaining the very best research, outstanding teaching, and unrivalled links with business and the public sector.
The Business School also holds ‘triple crown’ status, with accreditations from the three leading business school bodies; EQUIS, AMBA and AACSB. Our triple accreditation status demonstrates our assurance to providing high standards of quality and an outstanding educational experience, helping our students to stand out in a competitive global environment. Each accreditation process follows a multi-year, rigorous self-assessment process to ensure our improvement and excellence in all that we do.
We partner with excellent business schools throughout the world, and we have a growing network of teaching, research, professional and student exchange links. We also feature highly in all UK league tables.
We are committed to building an inclusive environment where diversity is valued, and making sure that you feel welcome and able to succeed is our top priority. Our teaching is enriched by our inspiring lecturers and our partnerships with business, industry and professionals. Our academics are active researchers, and many are world leaders in their field. We partner with both local and international organisations to make our research relevant, impactful and globally disruptive, ensuring our innovative courses are always responsive to the world around us.
We also partner with excellent business schools throughout the world and have a growing network of teaching, research, professional and student exchange links. Our research is focused around three important themes: Environmental Sustainability, Technological Transformation and Responsible Leadership.
Upon graduation, our students have the skills and knowledge to build an exciting and fulfilling career, wherever in the world you choose to work.