- The MRes Management (Pathway to PhD) is a one-year programme that provides a rigorous foundation in the skills required to conduct high-quality research in management and social sciences in general. It is intended for anyone wishing to progress onto a PhD in Management or another related social science.
- The MRes programme will provide you with substantive training in the research methods and methodologies used in PhD-level social science, the foundational Micro- and Macro- theories in Management, and the research skills and best practices needed to be a successful researcher.
- The research-based dissertation will enable you to create, with the support of a supervisor, a comprehensive literature review of your chosen research topic and then problematize this existing research to develop a strong research agenda for a PhD.
- You will receive instruction and guidance from our internationally respected academic staff who conduct and publish world-leading research.
- Following successful completion of your MRes, you will then progress onto our three-year Management MPhil/PhD programme at University of Exeter.
UK Business School of the Year
Times Higher Education Awards 2022
Triple accredited Business School
AMBA, AACSB, EQUIS
Top 100 Financial Times ranked European Business School
Top 10 for Business and Management
7th in The Complete University Guide 2024
A 2:1 degree with honours in a management related discipline. Evidence of mathematical/quantitative/qualitative ability is required. Degrees in psychology, sociology, and related fields are also considered.
We do consider all applications where there is evidence of exceptional performance in modules relevant to the programme of study.
Entry requirements for international students
English language requirements
International students need to show they have the required level of English language to study this course. The required test scores for this course fall under Profile B2. Please visit our English language requirements page to view the required test scores and equivalencies from your country.
The MRes in Management (Pathway to PhD) is a one-year programme for highly engaged and capable students who are planning to progress onto a PhD in management or related social science.
UK fees per year:
International fees per year:
We invest heavily in scholarships for talented prospective Masters students and have Global Excellence Scholarships available for international fee paying students applying for January 2024 entry and September 2024 entry.* For more information on scholarships, please visit our scholarships and bursaries page.
*Please see the Terms and Conditions for each scheme for further details of eligible programmes and candidates. Awards may vary from year to year.
Teaching and research
Assessments will be conducted via problem sets, midterm exams, final exams, presentations, and a thesis.
Students will be assigned an academic tutor and a pastoral tutor from the first day of their MRes. During the MRes period you will have the opportunity to meet and discuss your research interests with a range of faculty members to help ensure you have the right fit in you continue to do a PhD.
Progression to PhD
Although the MRes can be studied as a one-year standalone programme, it is a pathway to PhD for the majority of students.
Progression on to the PhD is subject to meeting the eligibility criteria for the PhD. This includes (1) successful completion of the MRes (achieving at least an average of 60% across all modules and at least 65% in the Dissertation) and (2) the identification of a member of academic staff in the University of Exeter Business School who has agreed to supervise your PhD.
After the programme
The MRes programme will provide you with the knowledge and skills required to carry out PhD level research and subject to meeting the entry criteria (see above) you will be able to progress onto our PhD Management programme.
Upon completion of your PhD you will be well equipped to pursue careers in academia, government or consultancy. Many of our recent research students have gone on to be successful academic jobs and have published their doctoral work in well-established journals.
Developing your skills and career prospects
The University of Exeter Business School provides a range of support to help you develop skills attractive to employers. Visit our postgraduate Business School careers service web page for more information.