- This programme has been designed for students who wish to explore environmental themes alongside gaining core business skills
- Develop advanced business skills combined with an in-depth understanding of sustainability and the role of business in creating a sustainable future
- Study a range of modules across a variety of disciplines such as climate change and environmental governance taught by experts in the most pressing sustainability problems and their solutions
- Engage with highly current concepts and debates around Biomimicry and the Circular Economy
- Progress to careers in environmental advisory or consultancy roles or shape your own business to Net Zero and UN Sustainable Development goals.
UK Business School of the Year
Times Higher Education Awards 2022
100% of our Business and Management research has internationally excellent impact
Based on research rated 4* and 3* in the Research Excellence Framework 2021
Accredited by AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB
Draws on expertise in Exeter's interdisciplinary Environment and Sustainability Institute
A mid 2:2 degree from a recognised university.
We consider all applications where there is evidence of exceptional performance in modules relevant to the programme of study, significant relevant work experience or professional qualifications.
Entry requirements for international students
English language requirements
International students need to show they have the required level of English language to study this course. The required test scores for this course fall under Profile B. Please visit our English language requirements page to view the required test scores and equivalencies from your country.
Environmental sustainability and ethical decision-making are becoming increasingly important within business, with growing recognition that if businesses and governments do not respond to environmental issues the long-term economic impacts will be vast. You will explore sustainability with a focus on the circular enterprise economy, natural capital, and biomimicry in innovative and entrepreneurial business practices.
You will complete a case study providing the opportunity to analyse real-world examples of the relationship between environmental and social performances and economic values and use these learnings to develop your own approaches for achieving United Nations Sustainable Development Goals in your Major Project.
Our range of optional modules enables you to tailor the optional parts of your programme to your career and research interests.
- During the programme you will study modules totalling 180 credits.
- Please note that programme structures may be subject to change.
- Descriptions of the individual modules are given in full on the Business School postgraduate module list.
The programme is divided into units of study called modules which are assigned a number of 'credits'. The credit rating of a module is proportional to the total workload, with 1 credit being nominally equivalent to 10 hours of work.
UK fees per year:
International fees per year:
£1 million in Business School scholarships available
We want to ensure that postgraduate study remains accessible to the brightest minds of the future. We therefore have a range of full and part-fee scholarships for postgraduate students looking to study at the Business School in 2023. Please see our scholarships page for more information.
We invest heavily in scholarships for talented prospective Masters students and have over £2.5 million in scholarships available, including our Global Excellence Scholarships* for international fee paying students.
For information on how you can fund your postgraduate degree at the University of Exeter, please visit our dedicated funding page.
*Selected programmes only. Please see the Terms and Conditions for each scheme for further details.
Teaching and research
Our research-led teaching is combined with practical experiences such as field trips and project work, so that you can apply your learning to real world scenarios. Upon graduation, you will have the skills and knowledge to pursue the career you want, wherever in the world you choose to work.
Our programmes cover a range of disciplines including entrepreneurship, international business, marketing, human resource management, and tourism. With strong links to organisations across the private, public and not-for-profit sectors, and with professional organisations such as the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) and the Chartered Institute of Personnel Development (CIPD), we ensure that your Master’s degree is widely recognised in today’s global marketplace.
You will be taught by internationally respected academics who are at the forefront of their research. We draw upon disciplines across the social sciences and give emphasis to the dynamic nature of enterprise, global connectivity and the management and leadership of the global challenges that lie ahead.
The Business School is home to the following research centres:
- Centre for Entrepreneurship
- Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning
- Centre for Simulation, Analytics and Modelling (CSAM)
- Exeter Centre for Social Networks (ECSN)
- Exeter Centre for Leadership (ExCL)
- Exeter Sustainable Finance Centre (ESF)
- Initiative in the Digital Economy at Exeter (INDEX)
- Land, Environment, Economics and Policy Institute (LEEP)
- Research Methods Centre
- Tax Administration Research Centre (TARC)
- The Exeter Centre for Circular Economy (ECCE)
Graduates will be well placed to take up general management and leadership positions across all market sectors, such as Graduate Manager, Management Consultant, Business Development Manager. You will also be competitive candidates for specialist environment and sustainability roles such as Corporate Social Responsibility Manager, Environmental/Sustainability Consultant, Environmental/Sustainability Analyst.
The MSc Sustainable Business (Environment) is particularly useful for graduates wishing to take up environmental advisory or consultancy roles within businesses or wanting to shape their own businesses to Net Zero and UN Sustainable Development goals.
Developing your skills and career prospects
The University of Exeter Business School provides a range of support to help you develop skills attractive to employers. Visit our postgraduate Business School careers service web page for more information.