- This programme has been designed for students who wish to explore environmental themes alongside gaining core business skills
- Develop advanced business skills combined with an in-depth understanding of sustainability and the role of business in creating a sustainable future
- Study a range of modules across a variety of disciplines such as climate change and environmental governance taught by experts in the most pressing sustainability problems and their solutions
- Engage with highly current concepts and debates around Biomimicry and the Circular Economy
- Progress to careers in environmental advisory or consultancy roles or shape your own business to Net Zero and UN Sustainable Development goals.
UK Business School of the Year
Times Higher Education Awards 2022
100% of our research in Business and Management has internationally excellent impact
Based on research rated 4* and 3* in the Research Excellence Framework 2021
Triple accredited Business School
AMBA, AACSB, EQUIS
Draws on expertise in Exeter's interdisciplinary Environment and Sustainability Institute
A mid 2:2 degree from a recognised university.
We consider all applications where there is evidence of exceptional performance in modules relevant to the programme of study, significant relevant work experience or professional qualifications.
Entry requirements for international students
English language requirements
International students need to show they have the required level of English language to study this course. The required test scores for this course fall under Profile B. Please visit our English language requirements page to view the required test scores and equivalencies from your country.
The MSc Sustainable Business: Environment is a unique programme dealing with Business as viewed through an environment and sustainability lens. We go beyond traditional concepts of Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability to equip you with the skills and knowledge needed to enable business strategies that make a positive contribution to the environment and society.
You will explore environment and sustainability topics and their importance to/impact on business. Compulsory modules will expose you to topics such as environmental governance, biomimicry and circular economy design principles, ecosystems and community resilience. The Major Project puts your learning into practice as you develop your own approaches for achieving United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
The array of optional modules enable you to tailor your programme to your interests and career ambitions.
- During the programme you will study modules totalling 180 credits.
- Please note that programme structures may be subject to change.
- Descriptions of the individual modules are given in full on the Business School postgraduate module list.
The programme is divided into units of study called modules which are assigned a number of 'credits'. The credit rating of a module is proportional to the total workload, with 1 credit being nominally equivalent to 10 hours of work.
UK fees per year:
International fees per year:
We invest heavily in scholarships for talented prospective Masters students. This includes over £5 million in scholarships for international students, such as our Global Excellence Scholarships*. For more information on scholarships, please visit our scholarships and bursaries page.
*Selected programmes only. Please see the Terms and Conditions for each scheme for further details.
Teaching and research
Our research-led teaching is combined with practical experiences such as field trips and project work, so that you can apply your learning to real world scenarios. Upon graduation, you will have the skills and knowledge to pursue the career you want, wherever in the world you choose to work.
Our programmes cover a range of disciplines including entrepreneurship, international business, marketing, human resource management, and tourism. With strong links to organisations across the private, public and not-for-profit sectors, and with professional organisations such as the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) and the Chartered Institute of Personnel Development (CIPD), we ensure that your Master’s degree is widely recognised in today’s global marketplace.
You will be taught by internationally respected academics who are at the forefront of their research. We draw upon disciplines across the social sciences and give emphasis to the dynamic nature of enterprise, global connectivity and the management and leadership of the global challenges that lie ahead.
The Business School is home to the following research centres:
- Centre for Entrepreneurship
- Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning
- Centre for Simulation, Analytics and Modelling (CSAM)
- Exeter Centre for Social Networks (ECSN)
- Exeter Centre for Leadership (ExCL)
- Exeter Sustainable Finance Centre (ESF)
- Initiative in the Digital Economy at Exeter (INDEX)
- Land, Environment, Economics and Policy Institute (LEEP)
- Research Methods Centre
- Tax Administration Research Centre (TARC)
- The Exeter Centre for Circular Economy (ECCE)
Graduates will be well placed to take up general management and leadership positions across all market sectors, such as Graduate Manager, Management Consultant, Business Development Manager. You will also be competitive candidates for specialist environment and sustainability roles such as Corporate Social Responsibility Manager, Environmental/Sustainability Consultant, Environmental/Sustainability Analyst.
The MSc Sustainable Business (Environment) is particularly useful for graduates wishing to take up environmental advisory or consultancy roles within businesses or wanting to shape their own businesses to Net Zero and UN Sustainable Development goals.
Developing your skills and career prospects
The University of Exeter Business School provides a range of support to help you develop skills attractive to employers. Visit our postgraduate Business School careers service web page for more information.