- Explore a wide array of crucial current concepts in Sports Management from a powerful, multi-disciplinary perspective
- Benefit from our links with external partners such as Exeter Chiefs Rugby Union Club, Exeter City Football Club, Yeovil Town Women’s F.C. and Commando Training Centre Royal Marines
- Tailor your programme to your career ambitions or academic interests with our range of optional modules spanning business, marketing, entrepreneurship, sport and exercise psychology, and sport and leadership
- Join our vibrant postgraduate research community and benefit from direct access to the latest research from the Business School and the Department of Public Health & Sport Sciences
- Gain the expertise needed to pursue a range of careers such as consultancy, management, sport facilities management, international sport development or sport social enterprises
Triple accredited Business School
Accredited by AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB
8th for Business in The Complete University Guide 2023
16th in the world for Sports-related subjects
QS World University Subject Rankings 2022
6th in the UK for Sports Science
The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022
A minimum 2:1 or equivalent.
We do consider all applications where there is evidence of exceptional performance in modules relevant to the programme of study, significant relevant work experience or professional qualifications.
Entry requirements for international students
English language requirements
International students need to show they have the required level of English language to study this course. The required test scores for this course fall under Profile B. Please visit our English language requirements page to view the required test scores and equivalencies from your country.
You will explore strategic management and leadership approaches across a variety of sporting contexts, and learn how to critically consider and appraise their importance to sporting governance and development. We will discuss the role of sport in changing and reacting to societal agendas and the models that support effectual operational governance at a local, national and international level.
You can choose to undertake an academic research-based dissertation or complete a sports management business plan. You’ll also choose from a range of optional modules covering fields such as marketing, consumer behaviour, leadership, sport and exercise psychology, sport and exercise medicine, HRM and innovation management.
The modules we outline here provide examples of what you can expect to learn on this degree course based on recent academic teaching. The precise modules available to you in future years may vary depending on staff availability and research interests, new topics of study, timetabling and student demand.
UK fees per year:
International fees per year:
We invest heavily in scholarships for talented prospective Masters students and have over £2.5 million in scholarships available, including our Global Excellence Scholarships* for international fee paying students.
For information on how you can fund your postgraduate degree at the University of Exeter, please visit our dedicated funding page.
*Selected programmes only. Please see the Terms and Conditions for each scheme for further details.
Teaching and research
A diverse range of teaching and learning methods are employed on this programme. This combination aims to facilitate interaction, optimise the use of contact time, provide practical experience and allow flexibility through independent study.
- Practical laboratory sessions
- Practical clinical sessions
- Group work and discussion
- Independent study
- Applied placement in a performance sports setting
Additional guest lecturers will provide specific applied expertise for some modules.
Each student is allocated a personal tutor who is available for advice and support throughout your studies. There is also a postgraduate tutor available to help with further guidance and advice.
MSc Sports Management offers the expertise needed by graduates looking for jobs in or related to sports industries. You are able to access a huge range of opportunities and support when considering your future career options. After graduating, you might expect to pursue careers in a variety of professions in or related to the sport industries, including consultancy, management, sport facilities management, international sport development or sport social enterprises.
Dedicated careers support
You will receive support from our dedicated Career Zone team, who provide excellent career guidance at all stages of career planning. The Career Zone provides one-on-one support and is home to a wealth of business and industry contacts. Additionally, they host useful training events, workshops and lectures which are designed to further support you in developing your enterprise acumen. Please visit the Career Zone for additional information on their services.