Family accommodation

Places are limited in University-owned accommodation for married students and students with children. A high proportion of new students who are married and/or have children have to seek private accommodation, which can be difficult to find. In this instance unfortunately the University cannot guarantee accommodation or accept any responsibility for housing married students, their families or single parent families. Students who accept a place in University accommodation are expected to honour their contract for the full contracted period.

It is important to view property if possible before signing any private accommodation contact and you should make sure to have the contract checked before signing by the Student’s Guild Advice Unit in Exeter, or with the FXPlus Accommodation team for students based in Cornwall. This is particularly important for international students who may not be aware of their rights as tenants in the UK. Students who leave private accommodation early will find themselves responsible for full payment until the end of their contract so it is important that you know what you are signing up for and that the housing you have found is appropriate for your family's situation. These teams also have lots of helpful information on their websites about looking for housing and important things to keep in mind when viewing a property.

For these reasons, we strongly recommend that students with families come to the UK first to organise accommodation before bringing their family over. As mentioned above, do not organise single University accommodation if you are planning to bring your family to the UK during that year as you will be tied into your accommodation contract for even if your circumstances do change.

Further information