Global Chums 2015, Exeter's biggest mentor scheme
We know that finding out an answer to your questions (no matter how small!), settling in quickly once you get here, feeling comfortable and meeting some local students is crucial to getting the most out of your studies here at Exeter and enjoying the UK.
To help with all of the above we are happy to invite you to join GLOBAL CHUMS. It's the biggest mentoring scheme on campus with over 300 students participating every year.
Here's what some of last year's students and mentors said about the scheme:
"This way I would already know someone studying at Exeter who I could ask questions"
"...useful to have someone in Exeter ready to answer questions that I may have, help with everyday problems, [and] clearly explain some cultural differences."
"From being a mentor I have gained an insight into new cultures and have gained leadership skills in helping and answering my chums questions... I have also learnt many new things about the city from showing my chums around!"
Information for new students
Benefits of having a Global Chums Mentor
- Settle in to Exeter life faster
- Someone to answer your questions
- Someone to introduce you to societies, clubs and sports
- A great way to meet Exeter and other international students
How the scheme works
- You, and up to 3 others, will be matched with a student who has studied at Exeter for at least one year
- They may not be in your academic discipline but we will try to ensure you have something in common
- Apply before 5 August and your mentor will be in contact at the beginning of September
- Apply after 5 August and your mentor will be in contact after 21 September
- Places are limited and are allocated on a first come, first served basis.
- We will confirm receipt of your application within 5 working days
- You must notify us if you no longer wish to be part of the scheme
- The scheme runs for 6 weeks starting on 28 September
- There will be 2 Global Chums organised socials for you to attend with, or without, your mentor
- You can meet your mentors outside the socials - this is something you can talk about and organise yourselves
If you are tempted why not watch this short video. The Global Chums section starts at 1 minute 06 seconds!
Global Chum online applications will open on 1 June 2015
Information for Mentors
Do you love Exeter? Do you want to help new international students settle in? Do you enjoy talking to people? Are you friendly, knowlegable and enthusiastic? You are just the kind of person who would be a perfect Global Chums Mentor. Each year we have over 100 mentors who are allocated up to 4 new students each through the Global Chums scheme.
Benefits of being a Global Chums Mentor
- Orientation and settling in doesn't just happen during Freshers' Week
- Be a Global Chums Mentor and be a part of the largest mentoring scheme on campus
- Global Chums can be used as credit towards the Exeter Award
- Reconnect with Exeter on your return from Study Abroad
- Being a mentor easily fits in with your academic study
- Global Chums runs for 6 weeks starting on 28 September
Global Chums Mentor Application 2014 will open 2 March.
You must attend one training session. Please indicate which on your application form.