Skip to main content


Obtaining police checks for periods lived outside the UK

If you have lived outside the United Kingdom (UK) for a period of more than 12 months within the last 10 years, while aged 18 or over you will be required to provide a police check from that country to cover that period.

If you are ineligible for a police check in the country you lived in outside the United Kingdom (for example because you were under the age required for police checks in that country, or because you are not a national of that country), we may accept references from previous places of study or employment in that country. If this applies to you please contact us for further guidance.

Further information regarding obtaining a police check from other countries is available via the  website for guidance on criminal record checks for oversees applicants at the DBS website.

Please bear in mind that some overseas countries will charge for a police check. Information for the different countries and fees  involved can be found at the above link.

If you have never lived in the UK, in addition to supplying your international police check, you will need to apply for an Enhanced DBS check. The application should be made when you arrive in the UK at the start of your course. If this applies to you we will contact you with more information.

If you have any further queries regarding periods lived outside the UK please contact us:

  • Telephone: 0300 555 6060 for UK callers and First Advantage for oversees callers
  • Email:
  • Address: 
    DBS Admissions Office
    Innovation Centre
    University of Exeter
    Rennes Drive
    EX4 4RN
    United Kingdom