- 6th in the world for Ecology in the ShanghaiRankings Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2018
- 10th for Biological Sciences in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019
- Top 10 in the UK for world-leading and internationally excellent research
- Degrees covering entire spectrum of biology topics, from molecules and microorganisms to whole organisms and ecosystems
- Learn with world-leading researchers and carry out challenging independent research in state-of-the-art facilities
- Opportunities to study abroad, and undertake field study in the UK
- Professional placement and industrial experience opportunities
Biosciences at the University of Exeter is a world-class expanding centre for the teaching and research of biological sciences. You will be taught by internationally renowned experts in subjects at the frontiers of science and throughout the spectrum of biology: evolution, conservation, ecology, whole organism biology, microbiology, molecular and cellular biology, computational biology, and biological chemistry.
We have attracted internationally renowned professors to join our staff and we also host a number of research fellows who received independent funding from the Royal Society, BBSRC, NERC, Leverhulme Trust, United States NSF, and the EU Marie Curie Programmes. The Society of Biology recognises all of our programmes.
Our teaching introduces new concepts in systems biology and describes how fundamental research is both commercialised in the biotechnology industry and applied practically in the fields of ecology and conservation. State-of-the-art teaching laboratory facilities integrate with activities in lecture theatres, classrooms and the field.
We provide the highest standard of care and support to our students, as well as the latest research information and teaching techniques. A wide range of modules, built around a core curriculum, provide the skills needed to become a free-thinking, critical scientist.
A huge range of extracurricular activities, specialised societies, and volunteering opportunities allow you to translate theory into real-world actions.
We provide state-of-the-art facilities for all our students in Cornwall and Exeter. In Cornwall these include our state-of-the-art teaching laboratory, plus technology which is integrated with our teaching in the lab, classroom and field; in Exeter there are next-generation DNA sequencing and proteomics facilities and an enhanced bioimaging suite.
Degrees in Cornwall
- BSc Animal Behaviour
- BSc Conservation Biology and Ecology
- BSc Environmental Science
- BSc Evolutionary Biology
- BA/BSc Human Sciences
- BSc Marine Biology
- BSc Zoology
- BSc Animal Behaviour with Professional Placement
- BSc Animal Behaviour with Study Abroad
- MSci Animal Behaviour
- BSc Conservation Biology and Ecology with Professional Placement
- BSc Conservation Biology and Ecology with Study Abroad
- MSci Conservation Biology and Ecology
- BSc Environmental Science with Professional Placement
- BSc Environmental Science with Study Abroad
- MSci Environmental Science
- BSc Evolutionary Biology with Professional Placement
- BSc Evolutionary Biology with Study Abroad
- MSci Evolutionary Biology
- BA/BSc Human Sciences with Professional Placement
- BA/BSc Human Sciences with Study Abroad
- BSc Marine Biology with Professional Placement
- BSc Marine Biology with Study Abroad
- MSci Marine Biology
- BSc Zoology with Professional Placement
- BSc Zoology with Study Abroad
- MSci Zoology
Degrees in Exeter
- MSci Biochemistry
- BSc Biochemistry
- BSc Biochemistry with Industrial Experience
- MSci Biological and Medicinal Chemistry
- BSc Biological and Medicinal Chemistry
- BSc Biological and Medicinal Chemistry with Industrial Experience
- MSci Biological Sciences
- BSc Biological Sciences
- BSc Biological Sciences with Professional Placement
- BSc Human Biosciences
Many of our programmes are recognised by the Royal Society of Biology.