- Equip yourself with business acumen, commercial understanding, intercultural skills, and linguistic ability in your chosen language
- Open your career prospectus up to the global business community
- Students will be able to study all 7 modern languages: Chinese, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish.
- Study specialist modules in business and management, accounting, finance, marketing, and entrepreneurship, taught by our triple-accredited Business School
- Spend your third year abroad, giving you an immersive language study experience
- Delivered jointly by the University of Exeter Business School and our world top 100 College of Humanities
- Students often get involved in activities outside class such as language societies, tandem partnerships, liaison work in schools and the community such as our Translation! Festival – the only public festival dedicated to translation in the UK.
Top 200 in world subject rankings for Modern Languages and Cultures
QS World University Subject Rankings 2020
#1 UK business school for graduate employability
(HESA DLHE 2016/17)
Triple accredited Business School
accredited by AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB
Top 100 Financial Times ranked European Business School
|Qualification||Required grades||Required subjects|
|GCSE||B/5||GCSE Grade B/5 in English language and Mathematics (or GCE AL/AS Mathematics or Further Mathematics or Pure Mathematics or Core Mathematics). Language Requirements – Minimum GCSE Language Grade B/5|
Specific requirements must still be achieved, therefore where a grade A is required, offers will be ABC or ACC. Find out more about contextual offers.
|Other UK, EU and International equivalences|
NB General Studies is not included in any offer.
The modules we outline here provide examples of what you can expect to learn on this degree course based on recent academic teaching. The precise modules available to you in future years may vary depending on staff availability and research interests, new topics of study, timetabling and student demand.
You may take option modules as long as any necessary prerequisites have been satisfied, where the timetable allows and if you have not already taken the module in question or an equivalent module.
- Descriptions of the individual modules are given in full on the Business School undergraduate module list.
This degree includes a compulsory year abroad with the option to study at a partner university, undertake a year-long work placement, or combine both.
Your placement year will take place in your third year, before returning to complete your degree at Exeter in your fourth and final year of study.
Tuition fees for 2021 entry
UK students: £9,250 per year
International students: £18,800 per year
Undergraduate Global Excellence Scholarship
University of Exeter Business School Global Excellence scholarships are worth £7,500 payable as a reduction on 2020 first year International tuition fees, for eligible applicants who achieve GCE A level grades A*,A,A or International Baccalaureate 38 points or the equivalent in another recognised curriculum. For more information see the scholarships page.
Learning and teaching
How will I learn?
You will learn through a mix of:
- Lectures of one or two hours once a week for each module. These give you the information central to the module and help you understand complex ideas.
- Seminars and tutorials every week or every other week for each module. They cover in-depth discussions of topics introduced in lectures.
- Total timetabled study hours (lectures, seminars, tutorials) for your whole degree are on average between 11 and 14 hours per week. In addition you are expected to complete an average of 20-25 hours of independent or group study per week.
How will I be assessed?
Modules are assessed through a mixture of:
- Group work
- Project work
The weighting of these components varies according the module. Coursework is typically between 2,500 and 6,000 words in length, and exams are usually held at the end of the module in January and May/June.
Where will I study?
You will be based at the purpose built University of Exeter Business School located on the Streatham Campus in Exeter, Devon.
The BA International Business and Modern Languages is a natural fit for students wanting to give themselves an advantage in the global commercial world. It provides you with a potent combination of expertise that will give you the intercultural skills, business acumen, relevant commercial knowledge, and linguistic ability to really stand out from other graduates without this complementary combination of abilities.
We anticipate that most graduates will move on to business-oriented careers – management, marketing, finance, etc – but that they will pursue these careers across the globe for a much broader range of international companies than usual.
Skills developed during this collaborative degree – including the fully-integrated year abroad –include analytical problem solving, written and verbal fluency, managing and analysing information, cultural awareness, research, team working, and critical thinking, all of which are essential to modern global business.
Fantastic facilities, outstanding teaching, world-leading research and exceptional graduate employability are just a few of the reasons we think you'll love it here. Find out what our students say about choosing Exeter.
Studying at our campuses in Devon or Cornwall means you'll have some of the most beautiful natural scenery in the UK on your doorstep. Find out about student life at Exeter and the huge range of sports, clubs and societies on offer.
One University, two locations
We have around 20,000 students across our three campuses in Devon and Cornwall which means we offer the academic excellence and facilities you'd expect of a major university but also a friendly and welcoming atmosphere.