- Top 14 in the world for Mining and Minerals Engineering
- 3rd in the UK for Materials and Mineral Engineering in The Guardian University Guide 2019
- 87% of graduates in graduate-level employment or further study within six months of graduating
- 6th in the UK for Materials Technology in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019 and 7th in The Complete University Guide 2020
- Ranked 2nd for Mining and Minerals in the 2018 National Students Survey
- Based on our Penryn Campus in Cornwall, rich in mining history and heritage
Mining at a glance
Our degrees in Mining Engineering are taught by Camborne School of Mines (CSM), a world-class geoscience and mining school with an rich history and international reputation.
As a Mining Engineer you’ll be studying at the interface between Engineering and Geology. You will learn how to apply sound engineering principles to design safe and economic methods of extracting minerals from the ground.
Studying at CSM will give you unrivalled access to contacts within the industry. You’ll be able to take advantage of this to secure an industry placement between years two and three.
Both our BEng and our MEng degrees provide hands-on and practical training. In addition to on-campus facilities, you’ll visit active mines and related sites both above and below ground.
£200,000 of scholarships available for 2019
What our students say
“The best part about this course is how diverse it is. It’s also very practical. The facilities are world class and you get to learn from the reputable professors who have written most of the text books we learn from.”
“I chose to study Mining in Cornwall because of the amazing location, community feel and heritage of Camborne School of Mines. I didn’t have any intention of going anywhere else. In the future I want to promote sustainable and ethical mining."
“The University programme gave me knowledge of the mining industry as well as engineering skills and a thorough understanding of ways of improvement. The University's globally renowned status never fails to impress employers.”