Computer Science and IT
- 98% of graduates in further study or graduate-level employment within 6 months of graduation
- 12th in the UK for Computer Science in the The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019
- Excellent facilities spanning a wide range of machine types and software ecosystems
- Teaching draws upon our particular research strengths in artificial intelligence and high performance computing
- Industry experience available to all students through summer placements or Year in Industry
- Comprehensive, relevant programmes inspired by the Computer Science development cycle: theory, design, develop, test and apply
Computer Science at a glance
From complex IT systems to sophisticated online gaming experiences, there is a fascinating range of careers that require the technical expertise of a computer scientist.
During your time with us you’ll develop problem-solving skills, technical competence and the ability to analyse and reflect on issues relating to computer technology.
We maintain excellent teaching links with computer-related industry partners such as IBM, The Met Office, NATS and Motorola.
We also offer a wide choice of Mathematics programmes, which have a more scientific focus.
All our programmes include the opportunity to gain practical experience in industry, either through an 8-12 week summer placement or by taking a year in industry.
As an Exeter Computer Science and IT graduate you may find yourself working with business IT systems, the web, mobile communications, games technology, or in the management and development of the safety-critical systems that control planes, trains and power stations.
Graduate profile: Nik Rahmel, Software Engineer at BBC iPlayer
What our students say
“I chose Exeter because it had one of the best Industrial Placement year schemes available. The Computer Science course is superb. The content is engaging and exciting and can cover everything from artificial intelligence to app development.”
“My programme has given me the skills needed to dive straight into the world of work, producing reports and building my own tools. The university has taught me to be reactive and balance my workloads and priorities.”
Gordon Murray Dent
“My time at Exeter provided me with a solid platform for starting a career in software engineering. I learned the basics of Computer Science and developed a strong passion for coding and web development. It also introduced me to the importance of working as part of a team when building software during group projects."
Degrees in Exeter
- BSc Computer Science
- BSc Computer Science with Industrial Placement
- MSci Computer Science
- BSc Computer Science and Mathematics
- BSc Computer Science and Mathematics with Industrial Placement
- MSci Computer Science and Mathematics
- Digital and Technology Solutions degree apprenticeship
- Flexible Combined Honours