- Top 100 worldwide for Drama (QS World University Rankings 2017)
- Top 3 in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017 and The Complete University Guide 2018
- 79% of research classified as world-leading or internationally excellent
- Opportunities to specialise in areas such as directing, contemporary performance, music theatre, actor training, applied and socialy engaged theatre, dramaturgy, creative industries managaement, cultural theory and theatre history, and technical theatre crafts
- Collaborative and practice-based approach including drama in the community
Drama at Exeter offers you the time and space to explore and experiment with performance and performance making. Taught largely through studio sessions, the relationship between theory and practice is central to the discipline. Our academic staff teach a range of performance and specialist skills and all of our teaching grows out of our research interests, so you will be taught by people at the forefront of their field who are passionate about the subject.
We will encourage you to research a broad array of theatre histories and critical theories as well as specialist practical modules which will prepare you for work in many areas of the cultural and creative industries. You will obtain key transferable skills which may be used in a range of professions.
You will have regular contact time with staff, who will challenge you and support the development of your intellectual and creative skills. Your lecturers will be active researchers whose interests include areas such as the theory and practice of actor-training, transnational performance, 20th and 21st century theatre practitioners, dramaturgy and playwriting, new media, live art, site-specific performance, applied performance, gender and performance, Shakespeare, music theatre, voice training, arts management, theatre and religion and the politics of culture.
We provide a supportive environment, where collaborative work with fellow students allows you to explore innovative approaches. You will need a great deal of commitment and demand the same from us in return; this commitment will be rewarded with an outstanding experience and education.
The study of Drama at Exeter dates back to 1927 and we have been offering a fulltime Drama programme for almost 50 years. The department is one of the largest and best equipped in the UK. Over the last few years we have expanded and have excellent facilities which place Exeter at the top for teaching spaces and resources. We have invested £3.7 million in our industry standard drama facilities, providing a superb environment for learning and research.
Degrees in Exeter
- BA Drama
- BA Drama with Employment Experience / Employment Experience Abroad
- BA Drama with Study Abroad
- BA Art History & Visual Culture and Drama
- BA Art History & Visual Culture and Drama with Employment Experience / Employment Experience Abroad
- BA Art History & Visual Culture and Drama with Study Abroad
- BA English and Drama
- BA English and Drama with Employment Experience / Employment Experience Abroad
- BA English and Drama with Study Abroad