- Provides you with a solid foundation in core theories and methods of political science and research methodology focusing specifically on the Middle East and North Africa
- Designed to give you freedom to be creative but also appeal to employers who expect core, critical skills that apply both to the Middle East and North Africa and the subject of politics more broadly
- You'll deepen your knowledge of key topics e.g. political history, the Arab-Israeli conflict, state and society in the Middle East, international relations, nationalism, the politics of reform in the Gulf, gender studies and Islamic culture and civilization, while at the same time enhancing your career prospects
- We are a large multidisciplinary department, with internationally renowned research centres and innovative teaching. Get involved in a variety of activities and join our vibrant research community
- Your specialised expertise in politics across the Middle East will be valued by public and private sector employers and open doors for further academic study
Top 15 in the UK for Politics
13th in The Complete University Guide 2022
Largest Centre for Middle East Studies in a UK university
Home to Europe’s most important research collection on the Arab world
UK fees per year:
£10,000 full-time; £5,000 part-time
International fees per year:
HRH Prince Alwaleed Al Saud Scholarship for short study courses abroad
Students undertaking MA Programmes in Islamic Studies or Middle East and Islamic Studies are eligible to apply for an award of up to £1,500 to enable them to spend time in an Arab country for further language module studies or for collection of material relevant to their dissertations. Find out more.
We invest heavily in scholarships for talented prospective Masters students and have over £2.5 million in scholarships available, including our Global Excellence Scholarships* and Green Futures Scholarships* for international fee paying students.
For information on how you can fund your postgraduate degree at the University of Exeter, please visit our dedicated funding page.
*Terms and conditions apply. See online for details.
Teaching and research
- Lectures will give you direct access to the cutting-edge research being carried out by our academic team
- Take responsibility for your own learning and that of your peers by participating in group work, class discussions and student presentations
- Fine tune your critical reading skills and learn how to ask and field incisive questions
- Utilise a range of media from video and audio to articles from newspapers and academic journals
The taught modules on this programme are assessed by a combination of essays, presentations and group work. Following completion of these in April, you will then be assessed by a 15,000-word dissertation for submission in September.
As a Masters student you can attend regular research seminars held across the College of Social Sciences and International Studies and organised by our research centres. These are given by academics from Exeter and other Universities in the UK and overseas, as well as guest speakers from the private, public and charity sectors.
The Institute is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities including a computerised language lab, lecture theatres, seminar rooms, lounge, satellite TV for viewing Middle Eastern channels and a gallery for Middle Eastern art exhibitions.
The Arab World Documentation Unit based in the Research Commons is a valuable research resource, housing numerous collections of academic textbooks, press cuttings, government papers and reports, periodicals, pamphlets, business yearbooks, and much more, with material in English, Arabic and Hebrew.
Graduates from this programme may find professional employment in a wide range of sectors both in the UK and internationally. A comprehensive background in Middle East politics and international relations is relevant to careers in:
- academia and education
- international agencies such as the United Nations or the European Union
- international development
- print and broadcast media
- private sector companies with interests in Islamic countries
- business and risk analysts
The academic skills developed on the MA Middle East Politics will enable to you to pursue doctoral study. The Institute has an international profile for our pioneering regional focus on the Gulf and Arabian Peninsula and expertise in Islamic Studies providing an ideal place in which to undertake an MPhil/PhD.
Employment and professional development
Our excellent Career Zone provides invaluable support, advice and access to graduate employers. Visit the employment and professional development pages for more information, including podcasts and profiles, about the range of support available.
In addition, the location of this programme within a hub of renowned academia will offer you the possibility of connections, networking opportunities, advice and guidance from others with extensive academic and career-related experience in this field.