- MSc Materials Engineering brings together the latest developments in materials science and the application of new materials in manufacturing and technology
- Be immersed in the theory and computational simulation of material structures for application into automotive, aerospace, technology and energy sectors
- Gain a strong understanding of the properties and behaviours of different substances, from raw materials to finished products, identifying their strengths and limitations to find solutions to complex problems
- Our teaching is strongly aligned to our research expertise, and the latest developments in materials science
- Focus on your technical engineering skills with this programme, or combine these with management skills with MSc Materials Engineering with Management.
6th in the UK for Materials Engineering
The Complete University Guide 2021
Specialist facilities include microscopy suite, aerodynamics and fluids laboratories, additive manufacturing workshop and vibration testing rigs
3rd for Materials and Mineral Engineering
The Guardian University League Table 2020
All applicants are considered individually on merit although we usually require a 2:2 honours degree (or equivalent) in a relevant science or engineering discipline.
Requirements for international students
If you are an international student, please visit our international equivalency pages to enable you to see if your existing academic qualifications meet our entry requirements.
This programme is modular and flexible, carrying 180 credits in total and offering flexibility in choice of modules studied.
MSc Materials Engineering consists of eight core engineering modules totalling 165 credits, which includes the 60-credit Engineering MSc project, and one 15-credit optional module.
The programme begins in September each year and the taught elements are concluded by May. The Engineering MSc project, under the personal supervision of a research expert in the chosen area, continues until September.
The modules we outline here provide examples of what you can expect to learn on this degree course based on recent academic teaching. The precise modules available to you in future years may vary depending on staff availability and research interests, new topics of study, timetabling and student demand.
- MSc Materials Engineering with Management brings together the latest developments in management, materials science and the application of new materials in manufacturing and technology
- Taught in partnership with the University of Exeter Business School.
- Gain a strong understanding of the properties and behaviours of different substances, from raw materials to finished products, identifying their strengths and limitations to find solutions to complex contemporary problems
- Designed for engineers seeking to study their subject at an advanced level before moving quickly into management or leadership positions
- Learn the theory and computational simulation of material structures, and apply that expertise to the automotive, aerospace, technology and energy sectors.
UK/EU fees per year:
International fees per year:
Fees can normally be paid by two termly instalments and may be paid online. You will also be required to pay a tuition fee deposit to secure your offer of a place, unless you qualify for exemption. For further information about paying fees see our Student Fees pages.
UK government postgraduate loan scheme
Postgraduate loans of up to £10,609 are now available for Masters degrees. Find out more about eligibility and how to apply.
Global Excellence Scholarship
We are delighted to offer Global Excellence Scholarships for students of outstanding academic quality applying to postgraduate Taught programmes starting in autumn 2020.
Please note that this scholarship isn't offered for all our masters programmes.
Teaching and research
Teaching and assessment
The programme is delivered through a mix of lectures, seminars, tutorials, industrial presentations, case studies, industry visits, computer simulations, project work and a dissertation.
You will develop transferable skills such as management and communication skills, computational techniques, data handling and analysis, problem solving, decision making and research methodology. Many of these will be addressed within an industrial and commercial context.
You will be allocated a Personal Tutor who is available for advice and support throughout your studies, along with support and mentoring from graduates who are now in industry. There is also a Postgraduate Tutor available to help with further guidance and advice.
A research and practice-led culture
We believe every student benefits from being taught by experts active in research and practice. You will discuss the very latest ideas, research discoveries and new technologies in seminars and in the field. Plus, you’ll become actively involved in a research project yourself.
All our academic staff are active in internationally-recognised scientific research across a wide range of topics. You will also be taught by leading industry practitioners.
Throughout your studies you will have access to support materials designed to refresh your knowledge of engineering mathematics. Mathematics for Engineers is a non-credit bearing online resource that covers the mathematics needed to undertake an MSc. It is an invaluable revision tool for those wishing to refresh their knowledge of common mathematical topics.
Sample mathematics test
Unsure whether your maths is good enough for an MSc? Take the short test below to find out. This has been developed in conjunction with the Mathematics for Engineers module and covers many of the topics listed above.
There is considerable demand in the workplace for graduates with knowledge in both a specialist technology area and in management, particularly in the modern tools and techniques to support the management of a dynamically changing engineering business.
We have an established reputation of training tomorrow's great minds, so when it comes to life after graduation you can be confident that you are starting your next professional adventure in a prime, leading position.
Dedicated careers support
You will receive support from our dedicated Career Zone team, who provide excellent career guidance at all stages of career planning. The Career Zone provides one-on-one support and is home to a wealth of business and industry contacts. Additionally, they host useful training events, workshops and lectures which are designed to further support you in developing your enterprise acumen. Please visit the Career Zone for additional information on their services.
Fantastic facilities, outstanding teaching, world-leading research and exceptional graduate employability are just a few of the reasons we think you'll love it here. Find out what our students say about choosing Exeter.
Studying at our campuses in Devon or Cornwall means you'll have some of the most beautiful natural scenery in the UK on your doorstep. Find out about student life at Exeter and the huge range of sports, clubs and societies on offer.
One University, two locations
We have around 20,000 students across our three campuses in Devon and Cornwall which means we offer the academic excellence and facilities you'd expect of a major university but also a friendly and welcoming atmosphere.