- We’ll provide you with the time, space, and support you need to become a compassionate, inclusive and effective leader of the future
- You will join a safe ‘practitioner researcher’ led environment of learning where you can share your ideas, perspectives and current experiences in response to realistic scenarios
- We’ll challenge you to consider offering solutions alone and in collaboration with other, supporting your development as a leader
- You will learn how to analyse, synthesise, evaluate and reflect on the translation of research-based evidence into healthcare practice
- You will refine your written and verbal communication skills through the examination of theory and its use in practice
- Learn alongside our Senior Leader (Healthcare) Degree Apprenticeship
83% of research in Clinical Medicine classified as world-leading or internationally excellent
Top 10 in the UK for world-leading and internationally excellent research in Public Health, Health Services and Primary Care
Major capital investment in new buildings and state-of-the-art facilities
Normally a minimum 2.2 Honours degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline. Relevant clinical or professional experience may be taken into consideration as evidence of equivalency.
Entry requirements for international students
English language requirements
Please visit our entry requirements section for equivalencies from your country and further information on English language requirements.
Our Healthcare Leadership and Management programme is suitable for all aspiring or established leaders in any health-related discipline which includes nurses, allied healthcare professionals, commissioners, managers and doctors of any speciality including training grades, GPs and consultants early in their leadership journey.
Throughout this programme we aim to:
- Provide you with a safe ‘practitioner researcher’ led environment of learning for you to share your ideas, perspectives and current experiences in response to realistic scenarios.
- Challenge you to consider offering solutions alone and in collaboration.
- Support your development as a leader through engagement with both core and advanced concepts in leadership and change focussing on the delivery of healthcare at team and system level.
- Enable you to analyse, synthesise, evaluate and reflect on the translation of research-based evidence into healthcare practice.
- Provide opportunities for you to refine written and verbal communication skills through the examination of theory and its use in practice.
The Healthcare Leadership and Management is offered as a full-time postgraduate certificate (PgCert) or a part time Masters (MSc) programme of study at National Qualification Framework (NQF) level 7.
The PgCert must be completed within one year; the MSc can be completed over three-five years part time. Intercalators are able to complete the MSc in one year
View the draft timetable of contact days for 2020/21
Please note: this timetable is draft and subject to change
The modules we outline here provide examples of what you can expect to learn on this degree course based on recent academic teaching. The precise modules available to you in future years may vary depending on staff availability and research interests, new topics of study, timetabling and student demand.
UK fees per year:
Fees are subject to an annual increment each academic year.
- MSc £12,400 full-time 1 year, £6,200 part-time (2 years), £4,650 part-time (3 years)
- Fees per 15-credit module MSc: £1,050
- Fees per 15-credit module PGCert: £850
International fees per year:
- MSc £22,000 full-time 1 year, £11,000 part-time (2 years)
- Fees per 15-credit module MSc: £2,000
- Fees per 15-credit module PGCert: £1,550
Fees can normally be paid by two termly instalments and may be paid online. You will also be required to pay a tuition fee deposit to secure your offer of a place, unless you qualify for exemption. For further information about paying fees see our Student Fees pages.
UK government postgraduate loan scheme
Postgraduate loans of up to £10,609 are now available for Masters degrees. Find out more about eligibility and how to apply.
Funding and scholarships
Pro Vice Chancellor's NHS Postgraduate Scholarship
The University of Exeter Medical School is delighted to offer the Pro Vice Chancellor's NHS Postgraduate Scholarship of £5000 to two NHS staff who accept a place to study on one of our Masters programmes enrolling in 2020.
Global Excellence Scholarship
We are delighted to offer Global Excellence Scholarships for students of outstanding academic quality applying to postgraduate Taught programmes starting in autumn 2020.
Please note that this scholarship isn't offered for all our masters programmes.
Teaching and research
Teaching and learning methods
It is taught using a blended approach to learning of lectures, classroom discussion, bespoke tutorials, and practical exercises supported by on-line resources accessed via the University of Exeter’s electronic learning environment (ELE).
Each module will include both formative and summative elements. Formative assessment will involve opportunities for discussion and feedback from peers and tutors. The summative assessment element for each module will provide students with the opportunity to demonstrate achievement of the intended learning outcomes. Elements of assessment will include:
- Development of Knowledge and Understanding
- Cognitive and Intellectual skills
- Key/Transferable Skills
Associate Professor Rob Anderson
Associate Professor Rob Anderson
Rob teaches on the module Fundamentals of Research Design. He is an applied health services researcher and implementation scientist with a particular interest in the evaluation and synthesis of evidence about health policies and complex health interventions, such as public health programmes and changes in service organisation and delivery.
Rob has over 20 years' experience as a health services researcher, economic evaluator, and implementation science scholar in both the UK NHS and the Australian health system.
This programme will enhance your opportunity to take on more demanding roles or management roles within healthcare.
All University of Exeter students have access to Career Zone, which gives access to a wealth of business contacts, support and training as well as the opportunity to meet potential employers at our regular Careers Fairs.