- Largest centre for Middle East Studies in a UK university with excellent research links in the Islamic world
- MAs suitable for students from a wide range of disciplines
- Scholarships available and HRH Prince Alwaleed Al Saud Awards to support study visits to Arab countries
- Unique research resources including Europe’s most important research collection on the Arab world
- Students from all over the world including Brunei, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Middle East
The Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies is one of the foremost academic institutions in the UK offering research and taught degree programmes in a wide range of areas within the field of Arab, Middle Eastern, and Islamic Studies. We offer Arabic and Middle East languages as well as comprehensive education in the literatures and cultures of the Arab world and Middle East, the history, politics, economies, societies, and anthropology of the region and almost every aspect of Islamic studies from medieval to modern Islam. A number of dedicated research centres and links with other subject areas provide you with an opportunity to branch out into other disciplines and areas of study, as well as reinforcing the teaching you receive through cutting-edge research and engagement with current issues.
Our first class facilities provide the perfect setting in which to study your postgraduate degree: our impressive building is the best purpose-built Middle East centre in the UK and is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities. The Arab World Documentation Unit is housed within the The Middle East Collections in the Forum Library. The latest Research Assessment Exercisen (RAE) in 2008 rated IAIS research activity as 80 per cent internationally recognised and 15 per cent as world leading.