Mining and Minerals Engineering
Based at our Penryn campus, the Camborne School of Mines has an international reputation for research and teaching related to the Earth’s natural processes, resources and environment. We are a unique multidisciplinary department that draws upon our expertise in mining and minerals engineering, applied geology and mineralogy, surveying and environmental science. With a long history of mining, and world-class geology on our doorstep, Cornwall is the perfect place to be.
Over the past 125 years, The CSM has pioneered the very best of technological advances in these fields. This has allowed us to form a strong standing in international industry and we have excellent relationships with companies from all over the world. As such, our graduates have great employment prospects and the vast majority are employed in areas related to their degree.
We offer postgraduates an outstanding research environment with state-of-the-art facilities. This includes £2 million analytical mineralogy labs, mineral processing labs, an automated QEMSCAN scanning electron microscope – the first in any University worldwide – and even an underground test mine.
Professor Kip Jeffrey, Head of Camborne School of Mines
Our graduates go on to work with some exceptional companies. Join us and you could too
- 4th for Materials and Mineral Engineering in The Guardian University Guide 2014
- 3rd for Mining Engineering in the National Student Survey 2016
- Outstanding relationships and reputation with international industry
- World class research facilities include £2 million analytical mineralogy labs and an automated QEMSCAN scanning electron microscope; the first in any university worldwide
- Industry-funded places; £2,000 scholarships available for some taught programmes
- Superb field station for postgraduate teaching and research, including underground test mine
- 43rd for Engineering – Minerals and Mining in the QS World University Rankings 2017
- Excellent graduate employment prospects
World class facilities
The Camborne School of Mines provides specialist analytical and research facilities. This includes geochemical and mineralogical labs, surveying equipment, GIS software, a materials engineering and physical separation lab and the Holman's Test Mine.
Click on "Select a location" to see the laboratories and other facilities on campus.